Heel-toe on newer cars.

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Phil., Jul 31, 2008.

1. Ess Three Forum Member

Yeah, they are great. Sharp bite, no squealing, great from cold.
    You need to drill the pads for the Porsche wear sensors though...a 5mm hole I seem to recall. No big deal though.

I have the 20mm lowered chassis, so Bilstein dampers, H&R springs, different ARBs, more aggressive geometry etc...plus a Sports Exhaust, short shift etc...
    I love it!

I know what you mean...the Cayman is very nimble, turns in so well and you can make the back move at moderate speeds...where the Carrera just grips at the rear and has a slight reluctance to turn in unless you learn how to drive it properly.

The Carrera is more involving to drive hard - you sweat more...and get more scared!
    The Cayman just goes where you want with a flick of the wrists...where you have to manhandle the 996 about.

Similar spec to mine I suppose...mine is also a 2004. Dec 1st 2004.

I was out in the new 997 PDK last week...but just can't see how it's worth 40k plus mine to swap...more likely I wait for the DFI engines and LSD option in the Cayman S (next March) and see if the much-rumoured Club Sport Cayman arrives...
    3.4 DFI + LSD, lighter, GT2 buckets...sounds like a winner to me!
    With a spec like that...I'd be seriously tempted. (if I could sell a kidney first!)

2. S1MMA Forum Member

cool, I'll look into them! I think mine has the same brakes as a 997 C2, they probably make them for that by now...

I have the PASM on mine, massive difference when you switch it on, should be useful on track! Do you track yours? Also, do you find the short shift is difficult when cold (I've heard conflicting stories, was looking at getting it for mine).

exactly right, that's how I'd explain it also. It's easy to get the back end out at 20mph in the wet using 2nd gear in the Cayman, no chance of that in a C4S! It'll grip and go!

Hmmmm, I'm not sure if I'm bowled over by twin clutch transmissions yet, my bro had a MK5 GTI with DSG, and whilst the tech is great, its not that rewarding. I still haven't nailed the shift to 2nd gear in my CS, still a bit jerky some of the time, although I love the challenge of getting it 100% right! Matching the revs on downshifts is something I don't tire of doing either, especially with the engine sitting behind your head!

Yeah, LSD in the CS would be great - you can get a Quaife fitted for under a grand I believe already. There's also some crazy Americans running around with near 500bhp Caymans, with turbo/supercharger kits. They're seeing like 320-330bhp with induction/exhaust mods only, which with an LSD would be very formidable on track. Are they actually going to make a clubsport though? It would probably be very close to 997 C2 prices, and would have better performance, thats the problem (for Porsche)!

3. Ess Three Forum Member

I seem to recall your front pads are the same as my rears, mine being turbo/early GT3 spec.
    I'm sure you'll get them.

I'm not a fan...prefer steel springs/dampers!
    The early 997 PASM can't be used on the road in 'Sport' as it's too stiff...and in Sport on only the smoothest tracks - not the 'ring.

The 'new' 997 settings are different, and it can be driven in sport Ok on crappy roads...I think I'd still take the steel springs / dampers + LSD no cost option though.

Rarely...I use my GTI for that.
    Done the 'ring many laps though...

It's hellish-stiff when cold...very accurate though...if only the driver was as accurate, because a slight twitch out and you baulk gears. Not good...Cost me at GTI International against my mates RS4...I baulked then slotted 5th instead of 3rd. Game over.

I'm not sure I'd spec it again...I blow hot and cold about it...
    It's lovely and accurate (like a well oiled rifle bolt) and a pain in equal measure.

Yup...more playful.

The Cayman lets you play if you are accurate...the C4S lets you really throw it about with little fear of getting it wrong (assuming you leave PSM on - I never turn it off - never need to). You can really be brutal with the Carrera, braking right past the apex, then stomping on the throttle and really making the rear dig in, with the car twitching about...which you can't get away with in the Cayman.
    The Cayman you seem to flow with it...rather than manhandle it.

I'd not order DSG/PDK either.
    Very impressive...but it takes a whole layer ov involvement away.
    Not for me.

I prefer the manual shift. I have 1st-2nd sorted...but bugger up 2nd-3rd with alarming regularity.

Fortunately for me, mine is a loud 996 version where the sports Exhaust is LOUD. So I get plenty of noise...
    As standard, the Cayman sound FAR better than the 997 though...as you say, engine just behind your lugs.

Not for me...big power.
    It doesn't encourage you to learn the limits of the chassis, if you can simply pass everything on the straights - hence a new C4s not a used turbo for me.
    I like a challenge!
    I'm not so sure a 500 BHP Cayman would be as much fun as an S!

So they say...
    Same on the 996s...but I tried some of the mods and got nothing on the dyno. Americans have some bizarre figures...hence ABF engined Golfs on Megasquirt making 170BHP at the wheels. Mine only makes 150 after 5 years and thousands spent...including Megasquirt!
    I just don't believe American claims - most of it is ego-massaging bull****.

Nobody knows...
    The Salesman at Aberdeen seems to think it'll have to happen as the market will dictate it...but who knows.

Even if you spec a Cayman right up with tasty options, you come in well under 2wd Carrera...never mind 4wd Carrera.
    I specced one 30k cheaper than a C4S...and the C4S just isn't 30k better.

4. S1MMA Forum Member

The PASM on mine is similar to what you described above, on sport it really is quite harsh - although if the road is too bumpy I believe it reduces the damping. In my research, the general feeling was if you run 19's then the PASM cars were more livable in normal mode compared to standard. I think the standard rates are in between PASM's normal and sport setting, there was a graph on the Cayman forum. I don't put it on sport often, that's for sure!

That's what I heard also, so do you think I should just leave it alone? Also is the B&M kit much different to the Porsche one?

agreed, not that I have massive experience driving 911's hard, but I can appreciate what you're saying!

Have you heard a Cayman S with the porsche sports exhaust (I've not)? Even though the engine sounds good, the standard system is a little muted at lower revs, the porsche system is also adjustable via a button I've heard (open valves in the exhaust etc...) does this work well in your opinion?

You're right, even though it's always nice to have a bit more poke, 500bhp would be extreme, maybe 350-380 would suit the car well.

yeah, I don't see porsche designing a crap airbox or using a 20p air filter, the stock stuff has to be fairly good surely?

30k cheaper! That's crazy, although did you tick a few too many carbon fibre boxes on the 997? I had a laugh seeing how much the carbon bits cost, think I shat myself when I got to 4k in carbon alone!

5. S1MMA Forum Member

sorry for the o/t to the op by the way!

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it will be a good day when carbon brakes become more mainstream and we can all have them. so many benefits in them

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

S1MMA - the edition 30 has the S3 engine but 'detuned' to 230ps, some reports of cars making more like the 260ps of the S3 but waiting for a run on a dyno dynmics rollers later in the year to confirm... Claire's was 254bhp at Stealth!

8. Ess Three Forum Member

I'd need to try it again before I decided, if I were speccing again...
    I do like the idea of the steel spring/dampers lowering 10mm though...although that may be a carrera thing. 997s on PASM look too high...

I don't know about the B&M...but the Cayman S I drove was superb in it's feel and throw...so I'd probably leave it alone.

I've heard a Boxster RS60 thing...with the same exhaust...and they sound good.
    As do the 997s...
    But...both are far quieter both inside and out, than the 996. I think Porsche must have got it's knuckles rapped over the 996 PSE as it is VERY loud. Great!

Yeah, the Porsche exhaust has a pair of vacuum operated flaps that 'bypass' the rear boxes (actually they part bypass and part open a resonance chanmer) but you get a great noise...engineered, but great!
    The 997 has the ECU controlling the sound...so it goes quiet between 20 and 40 MPH to keep the walkers from being frightened (Cayman/Boxster too?) and you can't get round it...it starts noise, goes quiet, then goes back to noisy.
    On the 996 it's a relay that controlled the signal to solenoid valves to let vacuum through, or not...so you cut a leg on a component within the relay circuits...and you have a completely noisy exhaust. Still switchable to quiet to pass certain track noise limits (yes, it will fail some...it's that loud) but if in noisy, it's noisy all the time...and vica versa in quiet.

The 997 sounds poor next to my 996.

But, it's not so loud as you need the switch...so I'd opt for a factory PSE and simply fit that, without the wiring (assuming the default is 'open' or 'noisy' as the 996 is) and enjoy the sound whilst saving 400 of wiring + time costs.

On the 996 you maybe do need the switch...as it will wake the street up at 5am when you head off for a decent early morning run if it's in 'noisy'. Never a popular move...

I think 381 would be ideal...from a Mk2 996 GT3 engine...or perhaps 415 from a 997 GT3 engine?
    That would be absolutely spot on.

I would say so...
    Still...air filters giving no gains don't sell well, do they?

No carbon fibre boxes at all!
    GT2 seats, Aerokit, special colour, lowered, LSD, Sport Exhaust, PCCM, Phone Pack, different steering wheel (thicker), light wheels etc. You can add 20k in options without breaking a sweat. (similar spec to my current 996 really)

Cayman S doesn't need an Aerokit...but add special paint, GT2 seats, Sat Nav, Phone, wheels, and a few personalised touches...and it's 30k difference.
    60k vs 90k (S vs C4S)

9. Ess Three Forum Member

[:x]
    Sorry folks...

10. Phil. Forum Junkie

No no, don't be sorry. I've just doubled my knowledge of Porsches :lol:.

Only ever driven an early 2.6 Boxter which was... erm... nice.

11. S1MMA Forum Member

Ah, ok. So they should be touching 300bhp with a remap? That'll be usefully quick!