Hello from Namibia

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Wit Ark, May 6, 2012.

1. Wit Ark New Member

Hi all, i recently discovered this great forum and intend to gain and share some knowledge here. I am a drag fanatic and is the proud owner of a vw golf mk1, 2001model (SA build A1 chassis) that i am buzzy converting to full drag trim all in good time as money allows. Below are some picks of the car taken during the past few years i have owned it. Njoy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below is a poor engine pick taken years back, will update with new fresh picks soonish as soon as i get accustomed with the new forum.

[​IMG]

It powered by a VW 2l 8v longblock motor, engine code is ADY. Has a tweaked 020 gearbox amongst other things including a wet nitrous system. Not so sure how many HP it makes, the dyno i used only shows wheel Kw and Nm which was 90.2 and 198.8Nm at the wheels without nitrous. Best 1/4mile time till date is 13.998sec.

I will mostly be digging around the technical section soonish as soon as forum moderators decided i am safe to be able to post freely without the delay of posts needing constant approval.

2. Admin Guest

Welcome along, a few more posts and your posts will appear without moderation, it's just an in-built forum rule. Good to see you joining us all the way from Namibia :thumbup:

Matt.

3. Wit Ark New Member

Hi Matt

Thanx for the welcome. Where you from and what do you drive? got to start getting my post counts up asap, buzzy exploring the technical section now, its great!!! The closest to home forum i am linked to is in SA, www.vwclub.co.za definitely worthwhile checking out to see what the guys are up to this side of the world.

My next upgrades will be fitting a 8V x-flow head and run throttle bodies on it, so i am buzzy doing some more homework on the subject now to avoid unnecessary school-fees.

4. Admin Guest

Sounds like busy plans for your car there. Explore the tech section and ask away there's always people who can help you :)

5. danster Forum Addict

Hi there and welcome to CGTI. :thumbup:

Car looks good, and you seem to have some extraordinarily large pineapples over there. ;)

So a crossflow head is the next on your list of modifications. I understand there is quite and extensive following of VW out in SA so reasonable to source parts.

6. Wit Ark New Member

Jip, seeing that the citigolf has been made in SA till late 2009 parts and items are still in abundance. Some import companies bring in nice motors that was never released in SA, mainly due to the poor grades of fuel we have available locally. The result is tuners and fanatics making their own blends and importing race fuels, some resort to using Avgas 100ll. For a VW here you can literally buy parts at any workshop/garage.

Some parts need importing, mainly forged pistons and rods, there are no companies locally who makes them yet to my knowledge. The other problems with the import motors are that they don't come with a ECU so its a bit of a mix and match of locally available OEM ecu's to get them started and running, that opened up the market for after market management systems, first people imported stuff, but now there are quite a few different brands available locally which work great. I have a Gotech system fitted that i can tune myself according to the engines needs and upgrades, check out www.gotech.co.za

7. Wit Ark New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some dyno sheets from a while ago, i see you guys mostly use HP and lb readings, not sure how to convert it, we mainly use kw and nm.

8. Wit Ark New Member

Hi Danster, could you direct me to a section or provide a link maybe where i can do some homework regarding a X-flow 8v head conversion? The current motor is a 8V longblock ADY engine code.

Below is a code i found on the newly acquired X-flow head if that helps.

[​IMG]

9. danster Forum Addict

If you use the search function and put in crossflow it will throw up quite a few results.
    Also have a read through JMR's section in the evolving business section. His blog has some interesting reading on the crossflow heads. :thumbup:

Looks like your head is the later type with swirl inducer in the valve bowl. Can you confirm what engine it came off for reference?

10. Wit Ark New Member

Hey, its from a AKL motor, its a 1.6 jetta mk4 motor, head has a "mexico" stamp on the back. This head is not on the motor yet, i am still buzzy preparing it for a throttle project. The current cylinder head i have now is a 8v u-flow design.

The below pick is what inspired my X-flow build
    [​IMG]

Below is a pick of the current head in use now, Its from a 2E longblock motor
    [​IMG]