Hello from Northamptonshire - '89 Golf Rallye

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by RallyeG5OVW, May 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RallyeG5OVW New Member

Hello everyone,

Finally, after wanting a Golf Rallye for 18 years... I have finally saved up enough to buy one. I'm pleased to say that I am fully paid up member of the Club and the car is wearing it's Club GTI sticker in the window.
    I look forward to meeting you and seeing your cars at shows in the coming future.

Regards
    Daniel

photo1.jpg

afbiker02, 1990 and beetie like this.
  2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Hi and welcome
    Nice car, any story behind it?

3. RallyeG5OVW New Member

Hi,
    The car was manufactured in 1989, imported to the UK from Germany in 1998. It has a full service history with all original books, covering 118,000 miles.
    It had a restoration in 2001 including a full respray in Pearl Blue, new top-tint bonded windscreen and Projector headlights. There's bills in excess of 5k for that work. It was owned by a chap called Paul Sutton, Hereford who I would like to track down if anyone knows him? I was told that it developed a big misfire on the way to a show and was put away in his garage.
    Last year it was sold in a Brightwells auction to the previous owner, Mark - There's bills for another 3k, near enough all for the engine including new pistons, reconditioning of cylinder head and fitting standard chip and supercharger pulley. Since 2001, the car has driven less than 1,000 miles. I picked her up from Tom Ingram of German Marques near to Cheltenham on Friday, unfortunately I managed to run out of fuel on the M5 where I could have sold her - but we're friends again now!
    It's completely standard other than a custom stainless twin round 50mm exhaust, Piper 285 cams and H&R springs.
    She has the cherished plate G5 OVW, which looks like G50 VW when wearing the 'show' plates!
    I'm trying to track down OEM gearknob and gaiter, OEM handbrake and gaiter as well as OEM floor mats. I would like to upgrade the speakers, no custom stuff, just that fits in the standard spaces. No rush thought as no head unit installed at the minute.
    My plan is to keep her standard, although I do like the look of the dark Compomotive TH wheels. I hope to attend a few shows and actually enjoying driving her.
    Hopefully there's a lot of expertise on here that can assist me in getting her 'perfect' to me.
    Thanks

4. notenoughtime

I'm sure you will find some bits on here or someone will know where to find them
    Comp TH's would really suit it

5. SimonG Forum Member

Northamptonshire :thumbup:

That looks like a very tidy Rallye, I'd love to look over it sometime. Welcome along, there's a few of us from the shire who are on here regularly.

Sebring alloys :thumbup: ;)

6. Jommanjo Forum Member

Very nice machine you have there! Would love to have a look over it sometime. I know several local people that would like to, too.

I'm off to Curborough tomorrow for the sprint day, are you coming up for it?

Hope to meet you sometime, enjoy the car :thumbup:

7. RallyeG5OVW New Member

Thanks for the messages.
    I hope to attend the Classic Car & Bike Meet on 1st July at Earls Barton, so come and say hi.
    Please let me know if there's anything else coming up (local for now) until she's been detailed and the engine has been run in thoroughly! I'm keen to see some other cars!

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What a lovely motor :thumbup:

Welcome to Club GTI :)

9. RallyeG5OVW New Member

Thanks for the compliment and the welcome to the club!
    I finished cleaning and protecting the leather on the seats today... Sadly I broke off a piece 191 885 264!
    image[1].jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  10. notenoughtime

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That is well clean!

12. RallyeG5OVW New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the comments, I'll be happier when she's really cleaned up and detailed.
    I have had a bit more time so managed to read through the history file. I found the first UK MoT, the car used to have the plate - G611 LNP on her. Does anyone remember her? Looking at an old photograph in the file, there is a Club GTI silver/ grey sticker on the rear window. Hopefully someone will remember her!
    Thanks

13. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice look forward to seeing this motor about I'm also Northants.
    There's a meet in kettering every Tuesday around 7.30.if your interested
    Near dunelms.

14. SimonG Forum Member

Is there? Who organises this? That's not far from me.

15. tonybig78 New Member

Hi, im also new to the forum