Hello From Swansea - Mk2 ABF content

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Break, Apr 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Break Forum Member

Hello everyone, I have wanted a mk2 for ages and on whim I bought one in February and it has sat on my girlfriends mums drive every since while I have been slowly getting into an MOTable condition.

[​IMG]

Here is sits as a bought it on some horrible fake splits, the car is a driver that has been modified with all the usual bits

ABF Engine
    Exhaust
    Coilovers
    Brakes

So far I have fixed the windscreen washer jets and changed the wheels. This was fun as the PO didnt supply the locking wheel nut tool so out came the chisel and hammer. It has also been treated to a new battery.

[​IMG]

Im not in love with the multi spokes but they came up cheap and local but will probably make way for some RA's other more period appropriate wheels.

The bad bits are corrosion on the lower parts of the doors and a section on the A pillar in the door shut which looks pretty nasty.

As I work in Birmingham the car only gets attention at the weekend so it has taken a while to get it in to have an MOT and a look over.

Expectedly it FAILED.

[​IMG]

001 - Headlight too high - Need to figure out how to adjust this.

002- Engine idle is miles off. I knew this was a problem when i bought it and was recommended to get a new TPS which i havnt tried too hard to obtain yet. When i bought it it was hunting for revs to around 3k RPM.

[​IMG]
    zip ties....

Today taking to the MOT garage it was revving up to around 4k and holding at this point so perhaps i have altered the throttle cable set up when i have been taking off the intake manifold.

003 - I have tried to replicate this fault at home but i cannot seem to figure out how this failed.

004 - the exhaust routing is pretty tight but i should be able to find a way to hang it up.

005 - [​IMG]
    "offside front mcpherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment" I am probably wrong interpreting this as the top mounts? i cant feel any play in this area, where should I be looking, and what do I need to replace?

006 - Refit the rear wheels on the correct sides....

007 - Have gone lock to lock but cannot see where it is fouling. car is on a slope at the moment so probably doesnt help identify.

But anyway, when I get it sorted I am hoping to daily drive the car as my commute is only 4 miles each way. fingers crossed it will hold up to being used while I sort out a few other parts and generally upgrade and modify the car.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Welcome to Club GTI.

Seems like a few minor problems that involve more time than expense.

Let us know how you get on on the retest.

:thumbup:

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It looks great, welcome to Club GTI :thumbup:

I had 005 as an advisory on mine. Good luck with sorting the other bits out. It will make a fine daily driver :)

4. Alex12345 Forum Member

Hi, and welcome

5. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

All mk2's have play in the top mounts when jacked up, it's the nature of its design but they've deemed it excessive. New top mounts are easy to come by and if you're on coilovers they're easy to replace. It may be worth upgrading to G60 top mounts though as they're a bit beefier

6. Break Forum Member

Thanks for the advice, the car is does have coil overs so it should be an easy fix.

I removed the TPS yesterday and reinstalled it after rotating it back to the "zero" position, I started it up again and the idle was a bit more stable around 2k so perhaps thats the first step in getting it running right.

Thank you to everyone for the other comments

7. Burtis Forum Member

Hello indeed see you said hello to me, pretty much got the same car but mines 8v. Good luck with all problems I got a few myself haha