Helmets for trackdays....

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Gavin J, Mar 27, 2005.

1. AndrewF Forum Addict

well....only use a second hand (and be very careful) or cheap helmet for trackday use...for proper motorsport use you cant skimp.

2. mk1madj Forum Member

I've got a few pointers - this relates to any helmet - bike/trackdays/cycle etc...

MOST IMPORTANT - Don't specify a budget

"If you only have a $10 head then just get a $10 helmet"

Dunno about you but I can't put a price on my head so I'm not putting a price on a helmet.

go to a shop and try as many helmets as possible, you want a nice snug fit not tight but in no way loose - ignore the price tags!!!!!

You'll probably find different manufactures helmets fit better than others, once you've found a manufacturer that fits you can look at prices

The Safety standard Number to look for is SA2005 (replaces SA2000) - this is the hardest test for a helmet to pass

I'm picking up my shoei raidII tomorrow for 350 - I only wanted to spend 100-150 but at the end of the day, after the crash when your brains lying on the ground what you gonna do with that 200 saving [|)]

Oh and don't buy a helmet from e-bay or any other internet site - unless you're replacing an old helmet you cant possibly tell how its going to fit - In the last week i've tried Small/Medium & Large and they've all fitted depending on the manufacturer - a good fit is most important as if theres any movement inside the helmet it can't do its job properly and could do more harm than good in an accident

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  3. mk1madj Forum Member

Result, I got the same helmet without the graphics for 205

[​IMG]