Help anyone please

Discussion in '8-valve' started by MR D, Jul 30, 2008.

1. MR D Forum Member

Hi folks you may have seen my other project thread ? how to put an alloy tank in.
    Well been working on the car a lot recently,got all my new lowered uprated suspension on,did my inner cv boot yesterday 6 hour job [:$] .
    Bit the bullet today and put some fuel in my new tank,so i could test all the pipework and start the car after about 18 months !
    Why was it not easy like i deluded myself it would be ? when i crank the engine over the Facet red top starts up ( this is in place of the lift pump) but the high pres pump has not got any power to it ? Have checked normal stuff like all the fuses gave relays 15/17/62 a wobble all seem to be ok ?
    anyone have any idea what to check next ? i am stuck now no idea what to do

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wire only go on 1 way on the h/pres pump so they are right,and also the wires to the h/pres pump are in their own sleeve so i have the right ones,although the wires that wnet to the sender i just cut ,might see if i have power coming from them.
    Any help advice greatly appreciated folks :)

My 2kg powder extinguisher turned up today which is handy now i have fuel in it again :)

2. MR D Forum Member

Just been out for another crack at it,i joined the 2 spare wires together that were for the sender fuel gague works now and i am getting power to the h/pres pump,turned engine over for a good 5 mins took off the pipe that goes to the filter under the bonnet and still not getting any fuel through ! oh joy not sure what to do now,i felt the h/pres pump and it`s running bit noisey if anything could it be broken ?
    Is it possible to put the non return valve in the wrong way so it would stop fuel being pumped up instead of stopping it returning ? in the pic it comes out the top of the h/pres pump well it does now was waiting for it to turn up when i took it

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

A non return valve turned wrong will stop fuel flow.

4. MR D Forum Member

Hello mate cheers for the reply
    yeah that is my next port of call tomorrow ,is it possible to put it on wrong though?
    the high pres pump was working fine when i took it off,the only new thing in the fuel system is the Facet red top in place of the lift pump all the other stuff is what was on well apart from the tank swirl pot and new fuel lines.
    Is it necessary to prime the system ? i thought it would come blasting out when i took of the pipe under the bonnet but nothing[:^(]

P.S it`s going to be very noisey driving it the facet makes a right noise ,not sure how i can get around that,just as well i have a large sound system to put in it ,once it`s mot`ed

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

crack the feed pipe to the main pump loose and disconnect the power plug to it, briefly turn the key and make sure that the facet pump is sending fuel to your main pump. It wont work 'dry' as std its either designed to have fuel pumped to it or its sat at the lowest point in the system so gravity does the job instead.

6. MR D Forum Member

Phew cheers got to the bottom of it in the end,the Facet was not getting power for some unknown reason ? so it was the h/pres pump working but not getting fuel ,checked all fuses ,all ok so god knows what to look for there,as a temp measure i took a live feed from the h/pres pump.
    And it started :) :) :) :) Although i got fuel squirting out of the return side of the under bonnet filter [:^(] been and ordered one and it will be here at 3 today :)
    Yey not long now till the mot .Cheers for the input..

The live feed is just a temp measure till i find out why the lift pump was not getting power,any one have a clue what i should be looking for ?
    will be staying like it if i can`t find the problem [:^(]

7. rubjonny

tbh, if you cant sort it simply get a fuel pump relay and fit it above the fusebox in an auxilery relay holder, you need a relay of some kind so that in the event of a crash the pump cuts out. what engine have you got in it?

8. MR D Forum Member

It`s a gtx 1.8 8 valve dx engine , it has the relay already which is what supplys the high pres pump .The facet does not run unless the h/pres pump runs ,so should b ok.only comes on when key gets to start position :)

9. rubjonny

right, this may be normal on the older k-jets, I thought that the pump would prime on the 1st click of the key as well but seems it may not!

10. MR D Forum Member

I think in normal circumstances it does ,it`s just the wire that was for the lift pump,which i connected to the Facet pump (which is taking the place of the lift pump) was not getting any power to it ?
    Have pulled and checked every single fuse but they are all ok ?
    Only thing i can think of is that there is a break in the wire somewhere,not sure how though as it was all working fine when i removed the old system,Will have to do for now,i know it`s not ideal but it works thank Odin !

11. rubjonny

poth pumps should be powered from the same source so as you say it must be a break in the wire!

12. MR D Forum Member

There are 2 wires that go to the h/pres pump violet and yellow and purple and brown i think which are in a seperate sleve,then a single brown for the lift pump ? then 2 wires for the sender same colour as the h/pres wires,i was not getting any power to either of them prior to bridging the sender wires ? it`s a weird one ,maybe i need some sort of resistance between the wires for the sender ? electronics car wise is not my forte,i am fine with audio,setting up big sound systems etc and fine in my studio but cars stump me

Just glad i am getting some input from peeps on here ! 25 people on scirocco register looked at my plea for help and not a single comment ,cheers rubjonny

13. rubjonny

the transfer pump shares an earth weith the level sensor, so that could be it if the earth has come adrift somewhere
    the colours i have are:
    red/yel - lift/main pump power
    violet/black - gauge sender
    brown - earth

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  14. MR D Forum Member

Ah right , i just used the body for an earth,and mistook the brown as a live for the lift .off to collect new filter now so will have to see if i am getting current through the 2 that i thought were for the sender then .Cheers once again geez ! there is a light at the end of the tunnel after all

15. MR D Forum Member

Right got the new filter fitted ,managed to do it up tight enough so it does not spray fuel everywhere [:x]
    Also found pipe that went to bottom of h/pres pump leaking
    The pipe that comes out of the accumulator to fuel feed line also leaking
    and also got a leak coming from the facet pump .What a nightmare there is fuel all over the place,had to call it a day now as i stink of it and don`t wanna risk blowing myself up
    But it`s going to have to come out again so as i can fix all of them ,not sure why the facet is leaking as all connections to that were really tight.Will have to have a crack at it on sat now

16. rubjonny

getting there!

17. MR D Forum Member

Yes just , i fixed the accumulator to feed pipe leak ,just needed clip tightening.
    Also fixed the leak at bottom connector on h/pres pump,had to cut off a bit of the pipe and re do it.Can`t see where it is coming from the facet though ,so i will have to investigate that another time,must have been some manky old fuel in the injection pipes as it`s turned it a nasty brown colour [xx(] .
    Going to need another battery,got the last one from the scrappers and it was on charge for 2 days ,was not even holding enough power to get the stereo working [:x] so everytime i want to fire it up i have to bring my van round ,to jump it,not good when there is fuel all over the engine bay !

Think i am going to double up on all my hose clips,not worth the risk of having a pipe pop off while i am driving it with a smoke on ! Have conected the extinguisher to the roll cage behund my seat,think i may have to move this so it`s at hand if amything goes pear shaped

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  18. Mike_H Forum Addict

Use proper fuel hose clips, rather than jubilee clips. If the pipe and fittings are the same size, that should be fine.

19. mattkh Forum Member

Any chance of a picture of these. Cheers.

20. MR D Forum Member

Yeah i have been using them the ones with the screw in,went out again and double clipped most of the hoses,need to get a few more tomorrow and finnish off ! and look at where the Facet pump is leaking from.going to double clip the ones under the bonnet too.just to be sure,i ran the fuel lines along the bulkhead behind the intake manifold ,don`t want it spraying onto the exhaust once it`s hot