Help! Boot opening problems on my MK4

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Rossthegill, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Rossthegill New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum! I know this is quite a common theme, but I've ran out of options and exhausted every suggestion on here and all the other places I've looked. [:x]

I bought my Mk4 1.8Turbo a couple of weeks back (love it!!!!!!). I haven't been able to get the boot open yet. First problem was the motor on the central locking didn't appear to be working whatsoever, but using some of the suggestions on here (namely http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=213436) and elsewhere (http://www.avforums.com/forums/motoring/934478-2000-mk4-golf-how-open-boot.html) I had a go with opening and closing using the remote for a good while. So now I can hear the motor opening and closing, but it still remains shut.

The lock cylinder was so grimed that i initially couldn't get the key in at all, but using WD40 and a bit of patience, I've manage to get the key all the way in, it just won't turn. I contacted the chap i bought it off of and he said they'd never used the key, always the remote, hence the issues.

So, again using the threads I've quoted above, I've tried to get access to everything from the inside. The trims are not coming away completely and the top one has already slightly cracked, so i'm not wanting to force it too much. I flatly refuse to take it to a dealer, as they've stitched us before on our mk4 1.6. My local VW garage isn't open until the New Year, plus this is the sort of thing i can usually do in my sleep!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:thumbup:

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like a right nightmare mate.

Try and put the key in again. Turning it to the right will open the boot lock.
    Has the car been covered in ice due to the weather? It could have froze the lock if its still cold where you are.

Other causes could be -

* central locking motor (small white motor under the boot lock)
    * faulty boot lock
    * rear windscreen wash pipe maybe leaking and could have seized up the boot mechanism (common prob)

If you can manage to get the panel off, you can move the lock mechanism by hand to open the boot.
    Atleast then you can get a good look at the mechanism. :thumbup:

Remember though - remove these two hidden screws before you pull the panel off.

[​IMG]

My guess is that yours is gunked up which stops the motor from pushing the lock open, and with a good clean it should work fine again. :thumbup:

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

start by undoing the two skrews in the handles

[​IMG]

then start by pulling in one corner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

working your way along the bottom first

[​IMG]

and hear is the problem the pipe fitting is split and come off

[​IMG]

and after it is fixed with some pipe of a eazy bleed

[​IMG]

you need to oil the part arrowed as well as the hole lock and work the lock to free it off

[​IMG]

the trim has ten clips and two plastic lugs and two skrews

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

as in this pic

[​IMG]

sounds like the lock stuck with all the grime and dirt partly from the frost
    Mine go stuck last winter (and seen several others)
    give it a good clean then WD40 until it works with the key

5. MUSHY 16V

yes Crispy that what i did with this one and my 4motion
    the water from the washers gets on the lock and seize it up

this is a very common on the mk4

6. MUSHY 16V

all so spray the switch for the central locking with wd40
    and you can take off the tape that is covering the two drain holes in the corners of the tailgate
    this may help stop the tailgate rusting from the inside out

7. M-gogz New Member

Hi there . I'm having the very same issue, after reading through all the threads on here and the other forums, I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to manually open the door from the inside, as the panel cant be removed from inside of the car whats the bast way of getting to the mechanism. will i have to cut a hole in the panel :o (suggested by the garage) .
    is this what i need to get to to open the door manually?
    [​IMG]
    (pick borrowed from other forum)