Help! cam and tappet clearance?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 2dubnick, Sep 16, 2008.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I was just checking the clearance between the cam and tappets on a DX engine and there is NO clearance! Haynes state a 0.3-0.5 clearance (exhaust and inlet different) and I couldnt even get a 0.08 feeler guage inbetween any of them. Iv moved the cam around and checked in all places! Have I just got way to big shims in there or am I doing something unbelivable stupid? The reason for checking was because the car seems to lack performance and there is nothing wrong with the cam timing or ignition timing. Any ideas anyone?? Cheers in advanced;)

2. roccodan Forum Member

There wont be any clearence as the head has hydrolic buckets and they are self ajusting,if there is any oil pressurising the buckets there will be no clearence.

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I really wondered this but according to my workshop manual and the haynes book a DX does not have hydrolic tappets and the clearance should be what I stated above plus there does appear to be shims ontop of the buckets.

However I think iv worked out why I have this problem, the head was reconditioned and the valve seats were reground which would push everything up (i think) someone please correct me if im wrong:)

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Up to 85 they will be shimmed tappets and 86 on will be hydraulic. If they are shimmed you will see a collar around the outside of the tappet with 2 cut-outs opposite each other

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

cheers daz, ill double check tomo:thumbup: