Help fitting new 16V distributor

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MK2MonzaBlue, Aug 28, 2023.

1. MK2MonzaBlue Forum Member

I imagine the answer to this is quite simple, but its been 4 years since I took my car apart and I'm now at the point where I'm preparing to get it running. I have a new distributor and HT leads to fit, my question is how is it supposed to be set up? The distributor looks to me like it would be possible to fit it upside down, and how do I know which lead plugs in where? Presumably they go in the firing order, but which position on the distributor is 1?

Also if anyone has a picture of what the wiring on the coil should look like, I would like to see it as my wiring has been bodged by the previous owner.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

put the cam to tdc, then fit dizzy so the rotor arm is pointing at the notch in the dizzy casing when refitted. you can put the dizzy on 180 degrees out it'll still be fine if you put the leads in the right place, but there are 2 sets of bolt holes so its possible to fit it using the wrong bolt holes which makes it rotated slightly off and in that position you cant quite get the timing lined up without running out of adjustment in the slotted holes if that makes sense