Help Fitting Stereo MK2

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by GolfBryan, Jan 28, 2004.

1. GolfBryan Forum Member

HI,

Recently got MK2 1990 GTI 8V and trying to fit stereo but there isn't any of those ISO connectors so have to wire that up first. The only problem is I dont know what wire is what???
    I got some help from the VW newsgroup but still not working. I bought a multimeter and tested the wires and there seems to be a permanent 12V wire, 2 Negative wires and a wire that does nothing. I'm pretty sure I should have a Switched 12V which I had in both my MK3 Golfs.

Any help appreciated?

Thanks

Bryan

2. superden Forum Addict

If you are connecting an ISO plug into the wires that are there chances are you will have to put in your own switched 12v unless theres one dangling down behind the dash somewhere.

Mind you if the car had a head unit in there before it should have one anyway [:D]

3. GolfBryan Forum Member

Would the stereo work with only the one 12V Positive? Don't mind if the stereo has power all the time!

Thanks

4. diggerbucket Forum Member

Yeah just hook up the 12V from the car to both the power inputs. I prefer it that way anyway.