Help... making a new loom for my Mk2 3.2 Motec M1 ECU

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by kiwgti, Oct 31, 2016.

1. kiwgti Forum Member

At the minute I have done a full pin out on the 3.2 loom and know 90% of the wires. I am planing on changing my emerald ecu to a new Motec M1. So I can support the vvt and the dbw.

But there is just one or two sensors that I can't get what wires are feeding

The first one is the dbw throttle body plug with is 6 wires.

This first two are to the motor:
    Pin 118 brown/violet
    Pin 117 black/violet

Next four are to the sensors:
    Pin 91 violet/brown
    Pin 92 blue/green

Pin 84 green/yellow
    Pin 83 black/green

Next Is the crankshaft sensor
    Pin 82 White
    Pin 90 Brown
    Pin 98 Black

And the camshaft position sensor
    Pin 98 Black
    Pin 86 white/violet
    Pin 108 brown/blue

Could some one let me know that each wire does

Thanks very much for looking

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Throttle body:
    117 & 118 are the positioning motor, wont be used I expect as the ecu wont have logic in it to control it. 91 is the common ground for the tb sensors and 83 is common 5v feed. 92 is throttle angle sensor 1, 84 is throttle angle sensor 2

you'll probably be swappable for a DBW throttle I assume? if so you'll only need 3 wires to it live, earth and throttle position

crank sensor plug:
    1 - earth - 108
    2 - signal - 90
    3 - signal - 82 (can wire it either way round)

cam sensor plug:
    1 - voltage feed - 98
    2 - sensor output - 86
    3 - earth - 108

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

When you say 3.2, you mean 3.2 VR6 24v engine with the VDO throttle body?

I am in contact with Emerald and they do control these (Bosch and VDO E-gas throttle systems) with a plug and play kit by the way.

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

117/118 control the movement of the motor. One will be positive, the other negative. Not sure on the ECU end though.
    The 4 sensors are 1 5v, 1 signal ground, and the two potentiometer outputs as per RJ below.
    Crank and cam sensors filled in above

No, these are to control the motor that moves the butterfly, definitely needed

The M1 can do DBW, so he will need all of them. All DBW systems use two potentiometers as a fail safe mechanism.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good to know the ecu can support a full DBW throttle body, newest I've worked on is MS ecu which you would need to fit an older DBC throttle body to!

sparrow what wirign diagram are you looking at? both the mk4 and mk5 R32 diagrams I'm looking at show ecu pin 98 as as the purple/red 5v feed to both the cam sensors, the common earth brown/red or brown/blue wires for cam and crank go back to ecu pin 108

6. Toyotec

^^many aftermarket ECUs now support E-gas systems. So unless there is a specific reason why an M1 Motec is desired, the existing can be modified to work at Emerald if it is not too old.

Megasquirt...Enlighten me if you dare :o

7. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Whoops, wrong one. You're correct.

8. kiwgti Forum Member

Thanks everyone for the replays

At the minute i am running k3 Emerald Ecu. The car runs well but when on the dyne and on the road the car comes off its power after 5500rpm. i think this is down to not running vvt on the cams. also i am using a cable throttle witch i do not like as you have more control over the engine with a DBW system.. and the one other thing that i don't have working on this ecu is the intake manifold air solenoid...

so with the new M1 i will be getting everything working this time and running 2 lambdas as well witch runs back to the ecu on canbus. I am going for motec as i work for Tyco BMW superbike team and these are the ECU's we use on the bike. i am just very formulae with these so going to give it a go..

9. Toyotec

The K3 is capable of running all those features, except DBW, which needs an ECU upgrade.
    Not sure why you remove a good running ECU to fit another, which will do exactly the same.
    If you get the motec for close to free then fine. If not, then best give emerlad a call and Karl, Leoni, John or Dave will be happy to help.

I see no benefit to the Emerald, which also runs lambda feedback and can adapt the lambda to your target values.
    You do not have a CANBUS in a Mk2, but may use CAN to communicate with the ECU, just like MBE systems. Nothing special there.

10. kiwgti Forum Member

Hi there

I understand that the Ecu that i have might be able to do most of the things i want but with working with Motec on an everyday bases, I think its one of the best about and more then capable of doing more then other aftermarket Ecu's. with using it everyday i find it a lot easier to use. also have a lot of good friends in motec

The new M1 is the latest processor and this is an advantage right away... DBW was one of the biggest things i wanted to change and i we run this on the bikes over the last two year so i am familiar with this already.

Also it the off season now its my winter project for my show car that i have been thinking about all year..

11. Toyotec

Fair enough. The appeal is readily available support and back :thumbup:

Good luck with it and we look forward to looking a a video of it running.