Help me fix my Electric Windows - MkII Golf GTi

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Genome, May 24, 2007.

1. Genome

Genome Forum Member

First off, this is the car in question. A 1989 Golf GTi 8 valve.

[​IMG]

The windows have always been slightly tempermental, but around 2 weeks ago, I pushed the button for the drivers side electric window and it went down around 3cm and then stopped working altogether.

Now it won't go up or down, and I'm getting no response from them at all. Its currently stuck at around 3cm from closed, I've sellotaped up the windows to try and stop rain from getting in, but the window vibrates when I go over bumps/potholes etc and it's annoying.

What should I do to fix it? Do I need to check that the switch is still working? How will I know if it's knackered? The light behind the switch works, but it goes off when it's pressed down.

What about fuses? Which fuse is for the electric windows, how do I go about changing them?

I've taken the door card off, and tried to push the window up but it won't move, plus it's in a very awkward position with it being only a few centimetres from the top.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'd be very grateful if anyone can give me any advice.

Cheers.

2. Sciroccotune Forum Member

if you haven't checked the fuses i would start there. they are on the drivers side under the steering wheel in the footwell. not sure of the number but when you pull the cover off it should be listed there.

3. nobby Forum Member

When I first bought my Mk2 car none of the windows worked. Sounds strange but turns ou every switch was knackered. Got a new set and they work fine.

4. Supercharged Forum Member

Do you hear the relays click when you press the switch...??

Nobby - switches usually go wrong when water has got into the car - you can fix them if not too bad by cleaning the contacts... maybe worth checking all badge clips, light seals and door / boot seals are in place etc...

5. bowditch Forum Member

you can put power direct to the window motor to see if it works that will tell you if the switch/wiring is broken. Most of the time its the motor or the mech that breaks.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you pop both switches out you could try swapping em over, if that dont work then its motro or wiring! Put your ear to the door when you work the switch, do you hear the motor clicking?

7. ADZ

Adz New Member

ive got a similar problem with my drivers side window, pretty sure its the motor. Can anyone tell me where i can get a motor from and how much?

8. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Thanks for the replies lads.

I've had a look in my car and I can't hear anything from the driver's side motor at all. I've pushed the button up and down and its just dead.

The passenger side on the other hand, I can hear the motor working on that one, but the window won't come down. I think it must be stuck, I can hear the motor whirring when I push the button up, but when I push it down it doesn't move.

Great.

How would I go about changing the switches? Do you just lever them out with a screwdriver or something? I don't really fancy having to change the motor, it looks a bit of a pain to be honest, and seeing as this is my first car I'm not the best mechanic in the world. Has anyone changed one before? Any tips?

Thanks again though, hopefully I can get this sorted soon, preferably before my bloody exams start.

9. rubjonny

grab the switch & pull, it should pop out. Changing motors isn't too hard, a few bolts hold the regulator in. It can be tricky if the glass wont come down though! You need thin arms and spanners.

Make sure you totally re-seal the door once you've finished, I find clear plastic sheeting from focus does the job :)

10. ADZ

Adz New Member

leccy window motor... how much and where from??

11. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Right, unfortunately I've made a cock up of things and I'm in need of more help.

I attempted to swap the switches over today, and I did to no avail. However, I've come across a new problem, in my haste to swap the switches over I have forgotten which wire goes into which plug on the back of the switches. So my one remaining electric window that worked is now also out of action.

Can anybody help me? With a picture or diagram or something? I need to put all of the 6(?) plugs back into the passenger side electric window switch.

I'm an idiot, I know, but I'd be grateful if somebody could help me out. Its bloody boiling in my car now its summer lol.

Cheers.

12. rubjonny

hows this:
    [​IMG]

13. rubjonny

so usefull had to post it twice :lol:

14. Genome

Genome Forum Member

^ You my friend, are an absolute legend.

Thank You.

:clap:

15. Marlon New Member

Sorry to hijack the thread guys!!

I recently acquired a electric window loom but got it home to find some numpty [:x] had cut it out of the car (school boy error for buying stuff in the dark!!)

The plan was to fit leccy windows into my 91 MK2 GTi. I've now managed to acquire the additional relay / thermofuse holder that sits on top of the stock fusebox

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, some of the wires on that have been cut too [:x] [:x] [:x]

Can anyone confirm where everything goes?

I know the 4mm red goes into the rear of the stock fusebox
    I'm assuming I can just re-attach the red/black to the cut red/black on the loom (looking at rubjonnies diagram, there looks to be a fuse somewhere in this wire somewhere, is this right?)
    Brown is just a push connector onto the earthing plate in the fusebox??
    I think the yellow/black is an ignition live. Is this right and where does it connect??

The main loom has the below cut wires

[​IMG]

The left hand wire is red/black. Right is brown.

I'm assuming the push connector again just attaches to the earthing plate?

Can anyone shed some light on the above. I don't want have a go and find the car in a smoldering mess!!

Nice one guys:thumbup: