Help me make my suspension better....please!

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by HummuH, May 26, 2014.

1. HummuH Forum Member

Hi all,

Right, now we have more horses, plan for next winter is to wide-track the Corrado and focus on the handling.

My current plan is to buy a Mk3 VR6 and strip/repair/improve all the required parts to add c. 20/25mm each side to the track and go 5 stud.

The Corrado is a G60 shell/chassis running a 1.8T and 02J box and retains the standard fuel tank set-up.

Whilst there's a lot more detail to go into in respect of the conversion, when we have all the required parts in bits I'd like to make sure we do everything we can to improve handling i.e. lower ball joint extenders, triangulate rear beam, flip tie-rods, rose jointed bushes etc.

Can anyone give a run through on the "must do" items to improve the handling whilst we have everything in bits? Any information on where to source the required parts also very useful.

Finally, any other general pointers for doing the conversion much appreciated!

Thanks!

2. tom.rich Forum Member

The balljoint extender / tie rod flip kit combination is worthwhile imo.

I read somewhere on here the other day about solid steering rack bushes too, that sounds like a good idea although I suppose those new Powerflex Black Series jobbers are a very high shore :)

The rear beam triangulation to prevent toe changes is something I was quite interested in myself and I'm still planning on doing it as I don't see how it can hurt, but the VAG Trophy motors and ex-Vento Challenge stuff I've been under haven't had them so that does make me question how beneficial it actually is, as of course they are genuinely quick cars...

HummuH likes this.
  3. goblinracing10 Forum Member

I can now say I had triangulation on rear of my Beetle RSI race car and also on the Vento VR6 race car that my dad drives and I can say in our experience it doesn't work. I managed to run 1 second quicker without with the car being the same weight with it removed and a plate bolted in to compensate.

I found mid corner it would grip and then release and then grip again so found it very unpredictable and skitish.

I run KW v3 suspension and spherical bearing bushing and in order to track the axle I shim it and I get better results with regards track handling.

It was strange that both cars had same issue and so removed we found it to handle better. I have also heard to compensate you need to consider softer springs so at the track I removed it ato back to back test it and it was better removed and shimmed to align rear axle tracking.

4. tom.rich Forum Member

Goblinracing, that's very interesting :thumbup: It's nice to hear an honest take on it with back to back tests behind it, I was still planning on trying it out but as above I was never convinced.

I think a few folks have had a placebo affect and don't want to accept that their work making/fitting these kits hasn't translated to faster times [:D]

5. goblinracing10 Forum Member

Although I'm sure there are people who disagree the toe change in corners actually helps. Recommendation would be uprate bushes in axle as only improvement.

Glad my thoughts were useful.