Help!! MK3 indicator stalks into an 86 MK2

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by neo vr6, Oct 10, 2013.

1. neo vr6 New Member

Just wondering if anyone can help with my latest exploits. I recently bought a MK2 1.8 GTI which had been stood for a few years and had before that had the engine overhauled. The electrics were shot as a mouse had made its home in there and the car would start but not idle. When looking at the electrics I realised it would be easier to replace them than it would be to try and fix the ones already in there.

I have replaced the cockpit dash wiring loom [both parts], indicator relay, fuel pump relay, both lift pump and fuel pump, ignition switch, light switch, the resistor relay and the ignition amplifier. Oh and I also replaced indicator and wiper stalks.

After replacing ALL of this I managed to burn the flasher switch out for the headlights [for the second time], and so decided to go with the mk3 indicator and wiper stalks. All the wires look the same apart from 2, i've connected all the wires where they look the same however now have indicators one side and hazards the other side.

Has anybody done this before or know what could be going wrong? If so please help!!!

Is this even possible to do?