High oil pressure

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Roger88gti, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Roger88gti New Member

Serviced my 88 gti 8 v a week ago new filters oil plugs etc done about 10 miles then this morning it started on 3 cylinders then cleared and ran on 4 after a couple of minutes the oil light came on so I stoped the car , the gasket on the oil filter had been forced out and leaked oil every where. So I took the oil filter off cleaned oil off car refitted the filter and it did it again it’s as if there’s a blockage.
    Any ideas????

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Relief valve stuck in the oil pump?

Maybe check the pressure, and try another filter?

3. Roger88gti New Member

Thanks for reply
    Do you know where the relief valve is

4. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Was it good before filter change?

5. Roger88gti New Member

Yes all good before oil change

6. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

That's a good question and in fairness it would appear that the service may have caused this to happen - what work exactly did you complete during the service?

I'm not trying to say you can't service a car, just trying to figure out what would trigger the Mk2 to do this - Just to confirm it was the correct filter, I've only ever used VW or Bosch on my Mk2's and they've never left me down.
    I can't see the oil pump playing up like that, I would get a genuine/Bosch filter for it and try again - the relief valve is on the pump itself if I'm not mistaken and if it's that then it's a sump off job and possibly a new pump but I'm hoping it's not that.

7. Roger88gti New Member

Bought a service kit from Vw heritage fuel filter oil filter plugs changed distributer cap air filter drove car for ten miles absolutely fine. The filter they supplied was a miele I think. I will try and get hold of a Bosch or Vw one tomorrow and try again

Tristan and costel1969 like this.
  8. davidut5 Forum Member

Could the old filter gasket be left on? I had 15bar oil pressure on my car and did not blew the gasket(relief valve got stuck).

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

10. Roger88gti New Member

Just tried a new filter and oil same again seal pushed out oil jetting out every where so helpful link thanks

11. Roger88gti New Member

Sump off oil pump out piston in relief valve seized solid in closed position is this definitely the cause

12. costel1969

Yep that's the reason - new pump at this stage, I wouldn't waste anymore time with that other bugger.

13. Tristan

Was it long since it was serviced before?
    I wonder did the new oil dislodge some old crud, that got into the pump.

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  14. Roger88gti New Member

Not sure when it was last serviced only owned the car 6 months , I’ve also taken the rocker cover off and noticed the gauze is totally gunked up so cleaned that as well got to wait for pump and sump gasket now to see what happens hopefully I haven’t damaged the engine

15. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

The usual.
    It'll be fine
    30 quid for pump

16. Roger88gti New Member

Well I changed the pump put all back together and guess what same again oil every where.
    So I spoke to a mate of mine and he suggested there may be a blockage in the rocker cover so engine can’t breathe. So took rocker cover off chiselled out the gauze to breather pipe cleaned it and put back in reassembled All sorted no more oil explosions

17. Tristan

That's a bit strange, a blocked breather usually causes leaks from seals or gaskets, or smoking, not excessive oil pressure. Not sure how, but no matter once it's fixed.

18. costel1969

Well I would not have thought that was the culprit in a month of Sundays - just goes to show the buggers can always pull a sneaky one on you - glad you're sorted though.