Hoffman exhausts - any good?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jonlikescad, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jonlikescad Forum Member

Hi all,

Did a search but no useful answers. I was looking around on ebay for bits and bobs and came across Hoffman exhaust system for the Mk2 GTi 1.8 8v - all three boxes for 79 delivered! That's about the same I paid for my last pattern backbox! [xx(]

I know people will come on and say that it's too cheap to be good, but if anyone has any experience or knows whether Hoffman is/was an OEM supplier or works with Febi etc etc then that at least would help to realise whether they are quality or not.

2 years guarantee and promises of perfect fits seem to show that they're confident in the product....Or it could all be horlicks :lol:

Thanks,

Jon.

p.s. No, I'm not a pattern fanboy.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Liestritz / Leistritz is the OEM supplier I believe. They use double skinned boxes for longer life (and extra weight).

Unless they're clearing out a job lot of stock, that's too cheap to be any good.

On the other hand, if funds are tight, and you need a new lum to pass an MOT, it might serve a purpose. Personally, I'd be hunting for a 2nd hand VAG one.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. jonlikescad Forum Member

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

TBH I read the ad, and it sounds like they're making them.... maybe I should have read it more carefully ;)

5. jonlikescad Forum Member

:thumbup: For those interested, seller's response:

Hi,We have more than one system available.. No plans to de-list.. Might go out of stock for a week or so, but will always come back again...

My second question:

Thanks, Do you have any idea about noise levels? Obviously VW system is best, but the comparable rear backbox is 185 alone (and that's if you can find one!) I have a pattern backbox which cost 66 and fitted myself, but it's quite boomy when warm and seems to be leaking. I'm looking at replacing the whole system with new parts all at the same time but don't want the premium or noise level of thin walled stainless systems.

Any help much appreciated!

Jon.

So I guess we will see :)