homemade leather door cards

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by G60KG, May 13, 2009.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

its finding glue thats man enough , ive managed to trim a few tricky bits only for it to lift in the sun after a while

i recon you need proper indutrial gear , not b&q stuff

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

4. runes New Member

i've used EVERBUILD SMARTACK. worked wonders on vinly last time and still looks good a year on. i've used it to fit stainless steel strips to curved kitchen units too and if it does that i should do about anything! ;) its what i'm using next time for sure. some people hot glue gun the return ed fabric on the back also. was thinking that if the bare doorcard got a coat of pva to seal it first it may aid adhession further.

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

whats that ..brush on or srpay?

6. runes New Member

aerosol contact spray adhesive mate

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i once covered a parcel shelf when i fit some speakers and the guy from the trimmers said use cow glue,he gave me some and it was very strong,dont know if thats the real name for it tho

8. runes New Member

cow gum? best use aerosol rather than paste mate

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Ive used contact adhesive for lino floor vinyl from wickes came in a very larhe can and sprayed out a bit like how spiderman shoots out web was very sticky maybe good for this too. Collecting seats on Sunday morning so will see whats next. Will keep you posted

10. wcrado Forum Member

I used the same stuff on my headliner. Has stuck up pretty well, you need to really lag it in it though, leave no part un-lagged!

I had a glance in a fabric shop today and have managed to find some black cotton weave fabric, looks quite good stuff, so will probably pick that up tomorrow and give this a go. I've no idea how I'm going to get it to stick properly and look neat in the arm rest/door handle indentation bit. Guess I'll need to stretch it a bit if I can. Looks quite sturdy stuff though, similar to OE door card material

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

its must be tricky glueing it as if you over glue it will seep through the cloth

12. wcrado Forum Member

Yeah it does, but if you don't get it everywhere it will leave air pockets. I'm going to lag the cardboard, then lay the material on top.

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

well picked up the seats today and I think I will keep them so next step is to get the vinyl. see pics below and they are heated, slight wear on the bolster but for what i paid for them still a bargain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. runes New Member

yep, spidies web, thats the kind of stuff you need. the leather site pigbladder gave a link for does a mobile service. might pay to get a quote, its only sprayed on after all. that bolster could be looking like new in no time mate!
    wcrado, gotta be carefull you dont overdo it with the spray mate, better to load the areas of the card that have heavy contours rather than the material. common sense prevails i guess. if any does bleed through leave it till it fully cures and it should just rub off. try it when its wet and its game over.

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

that bolster wear is nothing...the 35 diy kit will have that sorted easy

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I gave them a coat of autoglym leather feed and the bolster looked great until it dried up then it just looked back to how it does in the pic. whats the diy kit?

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

id suggest you buy thier cleaner and clean it all up properly so its the true colour

then the kit contains all you need to recolour that bolster

[​IMG]

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

ooo that kit looks complicated but if it works then its all good. I think I will try the doorcards first then tackle the bolster and if all of that goes well I might look into wiring the heating elements up Im sure RubJonny knows how to do that.

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

not compicated at all really...just clean it up with the scotch pad and cleaner , then sponge on the dye, when its covered mist some over it with the airbrush

20. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Hey PB Ive bought the repair kit and it looks complicated, I have not read the instructions but it looks pro as there are a lot of stages to go through. Only thing Im worried about is what if the colour does not match the rest of the leather?