Hose clips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Trev16v, Jan 25, 2004.

1. hayesey Forum Junkie

I usually replace the clips with jubilee clips. whats so bad about them? I've not had any problems.

it's mainly those annoying clip that arent sprung though, the ones that lock together. usually end up mangling them to get them off.

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I find jubilee clips bite into the pipe far more, plus they tend to rust and then sieze..... and the heads are always really soft metal so they strip when you put a bit of weaght behind the screwdriver. Best way to get the VW ones off is to compress them, then wiggle them back along the hose until they are clear of the flange. Then take the hose off the flange.

3. daviddd Forum Member

Yeah I agree, jubilee clips are not very good, and if you spray a little WD40 around the clip it slides on and off more easily. You just have to get the mole grips set right so as to pinch the clip as much as poss. :)

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I hate those VW clips, the source of more than a few skinned knuckles for me! I use mole grips on them or gas pliers but I much prefer jubilee clips! :)

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

WD on rubber might not be the best thing to do...

All mine have been replaced with jubilee clips and i use a 10mm socket to tighten them up nice... [:D]

6. g60 pb Forum Member

I got a cool flexy socket thing that AH got me for undoing jubilee clips, its dead handy :)

7. domma Forum Member

Wish i'd bought the correct pliers!

Beware of the pipe pliers!

I was taking a top hose clip off with a pair of them, Got the clip and pipe off OK, then the pliers slipped,

Bloody clip shot off at 100 mph nearly took a mate's head off, shot out the garage door and cracked the wifes windscreen!! Ha HaWhat a _it!

Those clips are mental.

Domma..........

8. Dave J Forum Member

Those clips are a pain in the arse if you dont have the knack of doing it. I struggled for ages trying to get one off my car, my neighbour, who is an RAC patrolman came over to see what i was doing. He made it look so easy as he got them off! [:$]

9. daviddd Forum Member

you have to position the mole grips carefully and squarely, and make sure when you clamp up you squeeze the ends of the clip closely together, then it'll slide off easy, practice on a clip (if you can get it off! [:D] )

10. Mikey Forum Member

I won a pair of these this morning on e_bay for 5.50 - sorted :p