How close can your garage door be to the public footpath?

Discussion in 'Garages, workshops & DIY' started by 1990, Mar 13, 2010.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I currently have double gates where I want my garage door. Can a garage door be on the boundary line or does it need to be back a bit?

You can see them here in front of the car. Immage the car is in a garage exactly where its sat there.

[​IMG]

After reading this:

Buildings portal Does anyone know what the principle elevation is? Is it the front of my house? I want the garage to be here:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Plenty of terraces in stoke where the garage door round the back is level with the footpath.
    [​IMG]

Probably better to hang on for proper advice though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  3. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Hi 1990,

Garage doors are my business (ask Trev16v), this is what you need to know.

Yes you can place a garage door on what is refered to as the building line (Boundary) of your property, BUT and its a BIG BUT you must fit non pertruding type of door as it will be opening into a public space and you have the risk of causing damage to either persons or property if someone or something is the other side of the door when it is blindly opened from the inside.

Good doors:-
    Roller doors
    Sectional doors
    Both this type of door open vertically and do not cross the threshold line of the door.

Bad doors
    Up & Over Canopy gear doors
    Up & Over Retractable gear doors
    Swing doors

These cross the threashold line as they open so are no good for what you want to do.

CHECK WITH YOU LOCAL PLANNING DEPARTMENT, is the best advice, some authorities insist on doors being 4mtrs from the building line.

Not great for you as the roller and sectional garage doors are the most expensive to buy.

Hope that helps.
    Philip.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

When i was building mine in similar circumstances the council told me i had to have a one meter gap before the start of the garage door.

Something about aiding the use of a motor vehicle or something?

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'll check it out. Thanks very much.

PAB, any idea what a sectional one would roughly cost? Big enough to drive a mk2 into?

6. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Different authorities have different requirements as to the position of the door, the distance back is in reference to allowing the car to clear "The Queens Highway" and therefore not cause a blackage of the road when the car is stopped to open the door.

1990, I'll PM you.

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

1m wouldn't do much with the length of a car if you parked on it to open a door (mine is electric though so doesn't matter as it would be open before i got there), he said it was to aid me to view the road i am coming out onto & to give others a chance to see me.

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

A house Im working at in London has a door that opens onto the pavement outside a school, Iv almost taken out so many people including a pram, its quite worrying with today sue everyone culture.

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

could you not put a warning/disclaimer on the door, which of course they wouldn't see/read walking along but would be quite ironic when it slapped them in the face and they started moaning... you could just point at the sign....

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

I think your reponsible for your car because you are driving out onto a walkway / road, think a drop curb does make a difference.

I know of someone who has a garden close to a playground & they refused any garage / door opposite the site.