How do you value a MK2 golf?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sam499, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Sam499 New Member

Hi, I have been lurking here a while, I own an 1992 MK2 Golf GTi 16v big bumper, tornado red and a sunroof. Tough financial decisions in life are making me question whether I should sell it, but I am no stranger to the used car market, but with MK2 Golfs, I struggle to find a median on how they are valued? I will list the spec below in a scrambled order of what comes to mind![:D]

170k miles
    Ported head
    Fancy ignition leads
    Braided fuel lines
    Bilstein Coilovers
    Adjustable top mounts
    MK3 alternator set up
    Geometry correcting ball joints
    Quaife LSD
    Team dynamic rims
    Harness/Bucket seat
    Cold air intake vents replacing lower fogs
    G60 brakes
    Oil cooler
    Boot brace
    Interior is pretty much standard other than drivers bucket seat

I have literally all the original parts that I took off the car, seat, lights an entire upstairs of a barn full of it. The bodywork is 9/10, no paint fade, fuel filler cap and other places repaired during its lifetime, although it does have the rust at bottom of windowscreen but only about 3cm in length and 1cm in width, I also have a spare windowscreen to replace that, with a passenger side wing.

Basically asking how do you value it? I've been told its an 8k car to a 12k car, its a very clean one and ideal weekend/track toy with all the daily comforts still.

Thanks!

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Short answer is that the value is directly dependent on those who are truly interested in purchasing your car. I bought a 1990 MB 120e in 2020 for $4,400, I put it on auction website and it sold for $9,700. Was it worth 9.7k, I didn't think so but the new owner certainly did.
    The value of Mk2 GTI's has begun to climb at a serious rate as they are most certainly an iconic car, they are becoming rarer and a lot of those that are buying them are older, regretted ever selling ones that they had and are now trying to get one back in their possession.

I am a stickler for original and standard cars and I would hazard a guess that if you return the car to it's OEM state you would certainly have old wankers like me clambering over your front gate to see it.

With that said, others (probably younger) may want the set up that you have as it stands. The fact that you have a load of parts should also be very interesting to most buyers.

I would put an ad up advertising it for 8-8.5k and if they want Aladdin's cave in the barn then that will be more on top.

Parts are becoming just as precious a commodity as the cars themselves, especially if they are original.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    Sam499 likes this.
  3. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Find a comparable on ebay. There are always at least 20 for sale at any given time so should help with a rough value.

Original is always worth more though unless it's really special.

Sam499 likes this.
  4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Having been watching the market for a while it does seem to be all over the place.
    From what I can tell an original GTi in very good condition is what fetches the highest prices.
    Modified cars in excellent condition also fetch good money but a modified car with poor bodywork or rust is worth very little.
    Bodywork and rust is everything and no number of fancy mods will make it worth more. This is because body work and rust is very expensive to remedy while mechanicals and upgrades are easy and relatively cheap.
    Have a look at Facebook and you will be amazed at how little some cars are advertised for. eBay is a piss take most of the time.
    Rust around the windscreen will put a lot of people off.

5. Sam499 New Member

Yea some prices are deluded, I should get around to fixing the rust on the windowscreen, bought all the parts but never found the time.

6. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Unfortunately a seller always think their car is worth more than the potential buyer look at what they have actually sold for on ebay

RichardDarrenB likes this.