How hard is it to convert 8v to 16v

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by bazzagolfgti, Nov 1, 2012.

1. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

hi i have a 2.0i 8v gti looking for more power cheap i.e engine conversion to a 2.0i 16v or vr6

but apart from the engine what else do i need

i know i will need ecu
    but will i need a gearbox, shifter, loom, fuel pump, ect

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

It depends if the base car is a Kjet or Digifant MK2. The later CE2 Digifant is the best donor car for a 16V abf, it plugs straight in and minimal effort on the wiring loom. I did this conversion myself.

Read Toyotec's thread here:

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...e-in-your-Mk2-Golf-Revisit-of-KJet-car-180610

Scroll half way down for Digifant on Toyotec's thread .

Also Rubjonny is a master at engine looms, so alot of experts on this forum!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Tis a Mk3. If you REALLY want to keep your shell, buy a donor car, swap it all over, chuck your 8v in and sell it on.

4. bazzagolfgti Forum Member

yep mk3 if i could find a full mk3 16v in good con i will buy it but i have been too look at 6 sofar and are all sheds lol

owned my numptys wanting big money

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all you really need is engine + accessories (airbox, inlet piping etc), engine loom, exhaust manifold and ecu. everything else will plug in or is the same. fuel pump, lines etc same on all gti mk3, 8v downpipe will fit 16v manifold, 8v gearbox and clutch will fit abf block.

main thing with wiring is make sure its the same type as your old one, early mk3 have engine and lighting looms split, later ones its all bundled into one. you could use the odl loom to convert the abf loom to correct type if there is a missmatch though. other thing is immobiliser, if its pre-96 8v then it has no immobiliser wiring, so try to get pre-96 abf ecu. if you get later one you coudl have the immob defeated, or add the immobiliser + wiring inside the car.

exhaust wisde the 8v is smaller bore but it probably wont make too much difference, but at a later date you could fit a 16v or vr6 exhaust to your cat as its same bore on all of them, it steps down to smaller bore after the front silencer on 8v. only thign to look out for is there are 2 lengths of cat!

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Most Mk3s are sheds. The engines are bomb proof, quick service and tune up and it'll be fine. Fit a new crank sensor too.

7. Chrisrpal Events Team

+1 I agree, I did that on my abf before fitting into car.

8. Chrisrpal Events Team

I tell you... this man Rubjonny is a legend, he gave me loads of advice when I was fitting my abf 16V and wiring loom, he knows his stuff ;)

I should get a 1 for each guy I recommend. lol

Toyotec is also good, his home built abf mk2 more door running on megasquirt that he built in a day is very quick, another clever chap lol

That's 2 pounds now lol

9. werdna New Member

I have a full '96 16v gti (scrap shell) with no immobiliser to convert the engine into my '97 8v gti.

What exactly do I need to swap over.
    Is the gearboxes ratios different, if so i will be swapping that too.

So engine with all auxiliaries on it and Ecu. Engine loom & dash speedo/clocks
    Airbox and all other inlet piping etc.
    Coolant pipework (guessing at least some is different)
    gearbox with cable change setup and hydraulic clutch setup

Is there anything else?

Also where does the engine plug into the rest of the loom/fuse box Haven't had a decent look yet.?

Any help be great thanks

10. werdna New Member

I have a 16v gti with no immobiliser donor car with a scrap shell.

What exactly is needed to put into an 8v gti

11. werdna New Member

Engine with all auxiliaries still on it, ecu and engine loom
    Airbox and all inlet piping.
    Coolant pipework
    Gearbox with cable shift and hydraulic clutch setup
    Exhaust Manifold

Where does the engine loom connect with the rest? Fuse box? Havent looked closely yet.

Is that everything

12. rubjonny

engine, loom, ecu and exhaust. you could even leave the 8v exhaust on, but may as well fit proper 16v one if you have it

if you want the cable shift box then that, the cables and shifyter, pipes and master cylinder, bolt it all on job done. no need to change pedal box, you might have to change fluid reservoir but it probably has the takeoff on it anyway just snip the end off and you're sorted

13. Admin Guest

Bump for new user.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

14. werdna New Member

Thanks very much, take it the hydraulic clutch setup can be bolted on from the outside/Engine bay?

Are the boxes ratios the same?

15. werdna New Member

Thanks @smudge

Sorry bout the multiple posts, was on my smartphone and didn't know my posts had to be approved by a moderator till my third go. Thought my browser was playing up

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hi there,
    You can use the ABF engine alone and re-use the 020 8V gear you have in your MY97 Golf 3 GTI
    The gearbox on and 8v MK3 GTI is a 020 rod change gearbox and is geared for an engine with less torque occurring from near 2500-4000rpm.
    The gear set is also different to the 16v 02A CDA/DPA unit, so you may find it does not suit the character of the 16v ABF motor.
    You would need:
    ABF engine and exhaust manifold no flywheel.
    Engine bay/Control loom
    ECU
    Upper Airbox and air duct.

If not then you will need in addition to the above, the gearbox/flywheel/clutch assembly, linkage, shifter, clutch master and possibly pedal box ( will need to confirm), hydraulic lines between gearbox slave and master.

17. werdna New Member

ABF motor.
    You would need:
    ABF engine and exhaust manifold no flywheel.
    Engine bay/Control loom
    ECU
    Upper Airbox and air duct.

If not then you will need in addition to the above, the gearbox/flywheel/clutch assembly, linkage, shifter, clutch master and possibly pedal box ( will need to confirm), hydraulic lines between gearbox slave and master.[/QUOTE]

I have a full driving 16v donor car so will swap all over including the gearbox and all that's needed for it.

Thanks very much Toyotec, I've only post here on this forum but done a lot of browsing and your mentioned a lot for you knowledge of the 16v engine and especially with turbocharging it.

Was think about the future and like the idea of turbocharging the abf rather than a 1.8T

What sort of parts are need to get around the 200/220bhp mark. Nothing serious just nice everyday power and be able to surprise a few people haha

18. werdna New Member

Sorry quote didn't work properly

19. vw-aj New Member

Hi, was it ever confirmed if the pedal box was required?
    cheers AJ

20. rubjonny

yes, by me ;)
    you do NOT need to change the pedal box on a mk3 when converting to hydro clutch :thumbup:

vw-aj likes this.