How much do you normally pay for tyre fitting?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by PhatVR6, Nov 30, 2008.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I used to get a guy come to the house in a van and swap my tyres over, i've had him come and do about 12 tyres, various swaps, removals, fittings, inc valves and balance and they guy normally charges me about 20 or so.

anyway, he's no longer around (ran off with the money or something) so i ended up taking them to the local tyre place.

they're not a big firm, not a national chain or anything and usually fairly sensible price wise, i've had them take tyres off for me and dispose of them and they've been a couple of quid. the mrs just took her car there and bought 2 tyres too, reasonably priced.

anyway, i took in 4 of my own tyres and wheels and left them with him for half an hour. came back and they hadn't touched them

he put one on the machine and called me over to tell me there was a mark on it. err, they were brand new in boxes you clown.....regardless, they all got fitted and balanced and back in the van, it took now more than 15 mins to do the lot.

I went in to pay and the guy goes 61.....WHAT?! SIXTY F*CKING QUID?! he was like 7 for the fitting, 2 for the valve, 2 balancing, blah blah blah. I couldn't believe it, I was convinced it was going to cost half that.

last time i ever get a job done without getting a price beforehand, robbing b4stards.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Yeah i got robbed like this a couple of months back! Charged about that to swap 4 tyres over and like you id didn't get a price before hand, just assumed it would be about 20, maybe 30 quid. Theiving c**ts!!

3. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

We charge 5 for fitting, valve is 1, balancing is 2.95 and disposal is 75p if required.

61 is taking the pish.

4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Mate at the local garage does it for me for abit of bifta every once in a while :thumbup:

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

fair enough, they were track tyres, so stiff as hell and hard to fit, but still didn't take long

lesson to self...never take brand new wheels still in their boxes, they just assume you are minted....

thank f*ck i didn't pull up in the s8!

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, some of them really go for it. There's a guy up the road from me, who has had me a couple of times. I told him up front I'd be along regularly, even took the wheel gun in and helped, but the prices were still silly.

Result? I travel 10 miles to get it done. It might take 5 times longer, but I don't get the feeling I'm being ripped off.

A fast buck sometimes doesn't pay...

7. turbotommy Forum Member

Barry's tyres at the end of the tyne bridge swaps a tyre from 1 rim to another for a fiver (thats a price for everyone) but he gives me the old tyre and rim back for me to dispose of. I don't mind that and he always gets my business :-)

8. craggsy Forum Member

10 a wheel for me...drop wheels and tyres off to him and he'll whip old ones off and put new ones on. With balancing and valves etc.

Never had one problem at all and usually calls me up after 30mins, or just after ive sat down with a cuppa!!!

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

I always go to my local tyre place, cracking service and super fast. Plus they check the wheel alignment for free and if it needs adjusting (if you want them too) its 21.

10. Claypole Forum Junkie

I think some of them gouge you on purpose as they haven't been able to rip you a new one for the tyres in the first place. :thumbup:

I used to pay (years ago now) the best part of 80.00 a corner for 15" Yoko's etc. but with the internet and forums these days you can get a decent tyre for under 50 quid so they try to get back the money they lost not selling you the tyres.

I cut my own off the rims and take the old ones to the tip myself as I'm too tight to pay the disposal charge. [:$]

11. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

5 for 4 fitted is my mate's rate ;)

12. Matt G Forum Member

my best mate works in one of the newcastle branches of one of the better know fast fit places and he'll do it for free for me (well......in exchange for beer later on;) )

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

could be a reaction to everyone buying tyres online??

14. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

aye, definitely a high charge for bringing in my own.

would love to know how much it'd have been if i'd drove the car in, and they had to take the wheels of fthe car, take my own tyres off and fit some more.

in fact, they did that on my mk4 and it was half the price!

15. stu h Forum Member

I had a puncture repaired on the Mrs's car yesterday - 17!!!!

Last time I had that done done it was about 7!

As for putting tyres on rims - I usually ask if they'll do it for cash. 20 usually covers it - best to go in on a Friday afternoon, before they leave for the pub.

16. Admin Guest

anywhere from free ( or a few beers for a mate) to 10 for a set of four wheels.

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like I need to get a tyre machine!

18. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

fitting and all the rest is included in price of where I buy my tyres online, so I don't know,don't think r888's can be bought from tyre shopper though........

19. Claypole Forum Junkie

There's an option on the Mytyres site to have them fitted - if you put your postcode in it brings up a range of local fitting centres, prices here ranged from 5.00 to a stupid 25.00 per tyre...

20. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

they are trying to get the price near to a new tyre...
    i got a part worn for 15...actually looked about 3 months old.
    tyre place wanted 15 to change it....all he was on about all the time was he had
    a budget tyre for 45 all in....
    " i wont gaurantee it mate cause its 2nd hand"...c*nts