How much for a machine shop to make this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Trev16v, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

These are a set of brackets that BBM supply with their G60 16V integration kit.

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/bbmservices/16v/rear_alternator_b racket_ass.jpg

These are the brackets that you use to re-mount the alternator at the back of the 16V head.

Would anyone be able to suggest a very rough figure that a machine shop would charge to make parts like these? I'm talking about having single items made just for myself, of course.

It will cost me the best part of a grand to buy BBM's kit, and I am trying to get a rough idea how much it might be to get many of the bits made up myself instead.

The parts you get are essentially all of this:

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/bbmservices/16v/16v_int.jpg

Other bits I'd need to get made up are things like the TB elbow pipe. Surely it would not cost too much to get a 'shop to make something like that. Some angled bits of pipe welded together with a mating plate for the TB / manifold each end. But on the other hand, I have no idea how critical it is to get things like the angles and stuff right on a part like that.

I have someone who can put together proper mechanical drawings and CAD files for me, if that helps.

Any comments would be really appreciated. It seems a fair wedge of money for me for these parts, but if I'm looking at a similar amount of dosh to get the bits made myself then I might as well just get the kit.

Thanks,

Trev
    Edited by: Trev16v

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

Depends if you want nicely finished pieces like that, or would make do with pieces that arent nicely curved etc and are straight - dont expect it would cost that much as they are fairly basic pieces.

I could get em made for nowt, but thats only cos o family connections.

You'd need to get the correct sizes though.

3. coullstar Forum Member

Wouldnt think it would be that much as it seems to be all pieces of flat plate welded together. No complicated or material wasting milling required. Best thing is to ask a fabricators themselves.

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

all you need to do is call DesignaDubs - since they have made a 16vG60 before i am sure they will give you an idea of price

how urgently do you want the parts?

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

There is a yahoo group dedicated to this type of engine. See here.

You probably have to join to read the posts, which won't take long.

Haven't been on there for a while, but theres loadsa info about homemade conversions if I remember.

6. Trev16v

Thanks all.

Aye, I've actually joined the Yahoo group already and I've picked up a bit of information on there. I've spent hours reading through the old posts. What's useful is that there are some useful things in the photo and files sections, such as some diagrams that somebody has made for the TB elbow and so on. There are a fair few pictures of home conversions.

Really I'd like to gain an idea on whether the sort of money I'd be paying for the kit (approx a grand) is silly money for what you get, or is it actually quite realistic.

I will follow the advice above and get some actual quotes.

Thanks also for the tip Dex. I'll contact them.

As for urgency - there isn't any, really. I'm not driving the 16V now. Haven't done so for ages! Consider it a long term project :lol:

Thing is, I don't want to kick myself later on for not getting the kit, especially while they have some in stock and the exchange rate is really good. There are a couple of parts that they sell seperately - like the groovy fuel rail, and pulleys I think. I could go ahead and order just those from BBM and then get things like the alternator brackets, TB elbow, coolant flange, belt etc made up myself.

Trev

7. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

You will have to get correct sizes for parts to enable one made to order any fabricator/machine shop will do it for you for a heck of a lot less than a grand and the quality/finish will depend on how much you want to spend.
    Looking at that bracket I would say that the parts have probably been laser cut and they will be made by the thousand so won`t have cost them very much but that is not a viable option for a one off.
    Shop around you will be pleasantly surprised.

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

why dont you and a few mates chip in and buy a kit and then get a few machined and make some money

9. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I could make parts if given decent drawing or sample no problem.

10. Trev16v

Aye, that's an option.

To be honest I was ready to go ahead and order the kit. In fact I want to. But I'll feel a bit of a knob if I pay 1000 for all these parts if I could make them for, say, 500. That's the question, really - am I getting value for money for those BBM parts that come in the complete kit? Brackets, fuel rail, and so on.

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

you will be being ripped off if you pay 1000 for those parts!!!

If you can get good diagrams or proper sizes, you'll be looking at 200 max!!

Those parts are dead simple - boys doing aprenticeships can knock those up in no time at all.

Track the driagrams down and get onto your local machine shops.

Personally i would use the local black smith, marine engineers or agricultural engineers as they do a lot of custom stuff.

12. Trev16v

The best info I have on the brackets are the pictures of the BBM and original Motorsports ones. Can't find any measurements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the measurements would hopefully be obvious though, where the brackets bolt onto existing points on the KR engine. I was thinking that I could choose a suitable alternator position and then make some mockup brackets to ensure everything's going to fit.

Oh yeah, look at the size of that belt. BBM provide one in the kit. Is this something I'm going to get easily elsewhere?

Also need to get me one of these:

[​IMG]

But someone has drawn up this - maybe I could use it. I need to understand what those extra vacuum connections are on the BBM one.

[​IMG]

We've also got the tensioner brackets. No measurements for these. Hopefully I could determine them myself.

[​IMG]

Crank pulley that they also supply. Are these very tricky to get made up?

[​IMG]

The fuel rail, supplied in the kit, is also available separately and I think I'd probably just buy theirs.

[​IMG]

Kit also provides lots of other little parts, plus unlimited free technical support, etc.

13. micky1 Forum Member

if you can get that lot for 200 i`ll have 5 sets.

14. Andy947 Forum Addict

Ah christ, you never said it was that many pieces!!!

Unless you can get peasurements, i reckon you may have to buy the kit -

15. Trev16v

Aye, I pointed out everything the kit contains at the start :lol:

Sounds like it's reasonably alright value after all then.

Only problem now is what to do about the fact that the brake servo may be in the way of the new alternator mounting... BBM aren't sure if it will or not [:x]

BBM told me that they can 'reconfigure' the kit so that my alternator would mount at the front, down the bottom. I'll have to find out if the fact that I have PAS is going to cause a problem here.

16. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Is left hand drive a different layout to right hand?
    If so then you might encounter problems ,worth checking.

17. Trev16v

One difference that I am aware of is that the brake servo is located on the opposite side. Obviously the servo has to be coupled directly to the pedal through the bulkhead. I think if you look at the bulkhead in the MK2, you actually see cutouts for a LHD servo that are blanked off.

18. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

If you need pictures. ;)

19. Trev16v

You mean of the engine bay of your LHD?

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If you had actual dimensions for those brackets, they would cost buttons to make. Likewise the pulley could be made very easily by any decent turning shop. The TB adaptor would be easy enough for a fabricator to make up too. Fuel rail might be a problem - but a 1.8t rail has the same injector spacing as the 16v intake, so you could feasibly get "spacers" made up to use it with the std. manifold. Getting the dimensions for the bits will be the problem - perhaps you could get friendly with someone who's already got the kit......
    One of those "vacuum" connections on the TB adaptor is just to accept the G60 CO pot, the other is probably the ISV connection?