how much paint to paint a golf

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by neil kaye, Jun 24, 2009.

1. neil kaye Forum Junkie

how much paint,thinners,laqure etc would i need to paint my mk2
    i would say theres going to be 30% of the bodywork will need colour after repairs then just a flash of coulour for the rest of the car to blend,then laqure the whole car
    cheers
    neil

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

2 ltrs of colour plus thinners
    3-4 mixed ltrs of clearcoat

differant brands use differant ratios

3. neil kaye Forum Junkie

so i have to get 1k dont i as 2k needs baking,will i need hardner for the laqure
    can i use the same thinners for the paint and laqure and how many litres will i need

4. gtijon Forum Member

2k doesn't need baking, as long as you use the right hardeners. But it is poisonous if you breathe it in.

1k - ie, Cellulose, doesn't need baking, is a bit harder to spray, is cheaper, but you'll probably need to hunt around a bit to get it.

The trade has moved to water based, and that *does* need baking.

For DIY use, Celly is the best bet. 2k is better, but not worth the investment unless you have or can get the kit for it cheaply (ie, second compressor and air fed mask).

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

i can get the paint no probs off a mate i just wanted to know how much,i did once work in a paint shop but did more prep and priming than anything,i left cause the paint fumes were givin me a bad chest all the time,i think ill go for 1k i know 2k is harmfull,it has isosyanates in it,nasty stuff,i only have a basic resporator mask

so realy i just need quantities so i can order the paint soo
    2l colour
    3-4l laqure
    what else

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

1k is a load of poop .. id see if you can get someone with a booth to spray it with 2k its more durable

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

yea i know what your saying but i dont know anyone with a booth,im going to join a club a mate has put me onto where they let you use there garage for the day with ramps etc and they have an old shed thats big enuf to paint a car in and it has a big fan/air duct,not the most ideal but beggers cant be choosers,i just want it to look half decent and all one colour rather than seeing the rust etc,im not looking for perfection
    without sounding ungreatfull to everyone the only thing i need is an answer to my question of quantities
    if i get 2l of colour and 4l of laqure,how much thinners and hardner (if 1k needs it) oh and how much primer
    thanks

8. gtijon Forum Member

Any decent paint factors will tell you what you need and how much, and will fix you up with the gear to do it on the cheap. I did my MK2 in Spies Hecker commercial (ie, lorry paint) 2 pack, solid colour. It was something daft like 15 a litre + hardeners and thinners, before VAT.

3L of colour is the absolute maximum you should need. 2L should do it if you aren't redoing panels all over the shop.

Buy a load of primer - it's cheap. A big 2.5 litre can will last you out. Also buy some two pack etch primer (not the same as other two packs, more like an epoxy), for any bare metal areas. Use a good mask with that stuff - the acid thrashes your throat. 3M ones are good.

9. neil kaye Forum Junkie

ah yes spies hecker is what i painted my door and wing in,was propper easy and came out the gun brilliant,didnt realise you could buy this over the counter tho
    i do have a 3m mask,i just dont have an air feed one so should be ok with that,i need to get some of that yellow primer think its high build,what they use in the paint shops
    the way im doing the car is to 1st of all scuff the whole car, repaire the areas that need it then paint the topcoat over those areas then do a drop coat over the rest then laqure the lot
    would i have enuf with a gallon of thinners

10. gtijon Forum Member

I absolutely raided through thinners on my car. In the end I bought a 25l can of thinners for primer, cleaning etc. for about a fiver more than the 5l cans I'd been using.

Use proper thinners for your top coat though - you buy it in litre or so bottles. You need the right speed of thinners and hardenerr for the weather you're in. Make sure the guy selling you the gear knows it's for a building and not a heated booth, and when you expect to be spraying, so you don't get stuff that needs a good bit of heat to go off.

11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

right ill get a big drum of thinners then for primer and gun wash etc ,10l of good thinners for the top and clear coats i would imagine id be doing this at around 16 to 20 degrees
    when you get fast and slow thinners is the fast and slow the speed it takes to dry/evapourate

12. gtijon Forum Member

1 litre of topcoat will need about 0.5 litres of thinners + hardener. You will not get through 10 litres, and topcoat thinners is nearly as dear as the paint! That's why it comes in litre bottles.

Faster evaporates faster, slow evaporates slower. They're also normally marked up with temperature ranges. You get the same thing with the hardener - it's like any chemical reaction, goes faster if it's hotter. Again, marked up with temperature ranges.

13. neil kaye Forum Junkie

right got ya so that 0.5l of thinners and harner,is that 0.5 each or a mix of both,i think im really going to have to get a measuring stick,make life easier,cant go wrong then
    also is clearcote the same mix as topcoat,sorry for all the questions

14. gtijon Forum Member

It really varies by the paint. Some paint takes more thinning, some needs less. Same with the hardener. The thing to do is to get the datasheet from whoever you buy the paint off, and it'll tell you all this.

I'm still thinking in 2 pack. You shouldn't need any hardener if you're using 1k. [:$]

If you haven't got a datasheet, you'll have to experiment until you have something that comes out of the gun well, doesn't drip too much and flows out nicely as it dries. Google for "ABCs of Spray painting" - it's a DeVilbiss PDF (DeVilbiss make the top spray guns) that explains pretty much everything about gun setup and whether the spray pattern is good or not.

Clearcoat again should come with a data sheet or you will need to experiment. And you need to use topcoat thinners for that too.

Buy a pack of plastic measuring cups, and get some paint filters too. You need to mix your paint consistently or you will find spraying an absolute nightmare.

BTW there is also a good guide to spraying cars on the Talk Audio forums.

15. neil kaye Forum Junkie

great info there,yes i painted mine with a devilibiss gun,but the paint and laqure was already mixed for me,i have had some experience with it all,both paint shops i worked in had diferent ways,paint schemes and there own set of rules,so what i was shown in one didnt do for the other,i have the general idea and bags of confidence which will help,and will be loking on those you mentioned
    thanks for the help so far mate and you p.b

16. pigbladder Forum Addict

you can get 1k clears that are ready to spray from the can ..no mixing or hardners

17. neil kaye Forum Junkie

when you say 'spray from the can' do you mean rattle can ?

18. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

just thought i`d point out that if your spraying in a shed, your going to have a hard time with bugs and pollen at this time of year and using a fan will make matters much worse.

it is now illegal/against the health and safety act, to spray outside a booth, you leave yourself and the owner of the workshop/premises, wide open for prosecution,even if you rented it,
    is it really worth doing it yourself?

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

no a normal tin..although its poop , i wouldnt use it on wheel barrow lol

20. neil kaye Forum Junkie

the reason i wanna do this myself is because i can do it for the price of paint and take out the rediculess charges some people charge
    i get what you mean about the legal side of it but im sure the place has covered itself but i will check closer to the time if i would be able to use 2k