How quick should a remapped 1.8t be?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by tOadsTyLe, Jan 21, 2010.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

How much different would a KO3s be though Toyotec in your opinion? As a certain member from a tuning company said their remap'd KO3 and KO3s were near enough identical down the 1/4 mile doubt numerous attempts and the KO3s having proven to make more power on the dyno?

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

From what I have seen and mapped on the rolls, an AGU engine with stock turbo can hit around 210lbft at 3500rpm and drop out soon after. Depending on engine and turbo condition this drop off can be steeper. This is why you only measure "190" bhp
    AUM with 5303XXX0052 huffer will hit the same torque a around the same engine speed but hit a greater peak 500 rpm later at 240lbft or so. The torque drop of is not as steep as the "K03" hence the reason the measured power can be as high as 230bhp.

In a vehicle with the same gearing weight ad driving stlye, having a lil extra average torque from 3500 to 5000 rpm will make a difference!

3. paultownsend Forum Member

This is bad news! although probably a more all over 'refined' driving experience

4. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

[/QUOTE]

A STD MK3 VR6 say a late MY from 96 with similarly fitted with A/C, heated seats etc weighs 1280kg.
    The big 2.8 engine boasts an output of 175PS@5800rpm and around 180lbft@4200rpm, with 80% of this available from 3000rpm to 6000rpm. A long FD of 3.39 through 205/15/50s does dull the experience, but the huge urge of 180lbft will mean that such a vehicle will accel to 60 in 7.3secs anad 1/4mile of 15.4@91mph (Gtech readings) or about as fast as a MK2 1.8 16v Golf.
    Tables turn a bit with a MK4s engine is over boosted a bit to have more average torque than a MK3 VR6. So MK4 engines that can peak 220+lbft with an average of 200lbft from say 3000rpm to 4500rpm running on a shorter FD may just inch ahead of a MK3 VR6.

This a combination of the above may have played apart in the video clip to make it more advantagous for the MK4 Golf.[/QUOTE]

I'm running a 1.8t (ko3s) on 18" alloys revo stage 2. now i only had the 1 run at GTi inters this year (that i fluffed off the line) but i hit 60mph in 6.13secs and 1/4 in the low 14's....

full interior was in at the time and i had my GF in the passenger seat?? car (leon cupra) weighs 1350 (ish) kg as standard i think... i was also beat over the line by a mk4 golf by a cars length?? i dont think any standard or close to standard vr will match that?? i'm running a shade over 230bhp and 240+ftlb (325nm) torque. 225/40/18 eagle f1 tyres no LSD fitted???

I would kill a thousand kittens of a the sound of a VR6 though!!!! awesome. just a shame they's under powerd for their displacement.

5. JCS_20vT New Member

I must admit a 1.8t with a decent exhaust and very throaty sounding air intake does it for me anyday!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. Collie Forum Junkie

Mine sounds great , from outside when someone else is driving, its very quiet in the cock pit, just the way i like it. de cat and a s/s exhaust mmmmm hear that tubo whistle. no induction kit on though. Have one in the shed. may bung it on and see if it annoys me.

7. Collie Forum Junkie

Mine sounds great , from outside when someone else is driving, its very quiet in the cock pit, just the way i like it. de cat and a s/s exhaust mmmmm hear that tubo whistle. no induction kit on though. Have one in the shed. may bung it on and see if it annoys me.

8. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

get rid of all those box's in the pipe... wont be so quiet then trust me [:D] i'll have to record mine and pop it on the tube!

i'll post a link up in a couple of days!

9. steven_mk4_1.8t Forum Member

i've got a mk4 aum 1.8t with intercooler, dump valve, filter and turbo back exhaust and a stage 2 revo remap and it made a healthy and strong 233.6 bhp :-)

10. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

11. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

My 1.8T 20v feels very quick standard.

All ive done to it is put in a Jetex pannel filter and always run it on Optimax, and it does seem to pull of better with the ASR control off...

I know what people mean about it not being a revvy engine, but off the lights the power is always there, all the way up the gears.
    Mine could do with a re-map tbh, maybe a stainless system - but would have to be as quiet as possible. Would like to see how it performs after a re-map though...

But standard its quite impressive.:thumbup:

12. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I've never found a standard MK4 1.8T to be that fast, I wouldn't say that they're slow but definatly wouldn't descibe one as fast, the 180bhp anni's are though

13. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I think the main draw back of the AUG engine is that its boxed up in the heavy mk4. You have to remap it up to over 200bhp just to get the car propperly moving!

AND for all my slagging off of the AUG/BAM engine recently I can't believe I am hypocritically probably about to buy a mk1 20v turbo this Saturday[:$] :lol: (although I must add that its a different animal in the mk1!)

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've got a cat-back exhaust brand spanking new sitting in my garage lol might fit it but wasn't sure if the de-cat would through the management light on and make it run funky

15. The db

The db Forum Junkie

turbo cars love de-cat exhaust systems.

As long as you feed the lambda in correctly to the decat there shouldn't be an issue.

16. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

MAPPING it will sort it -- no eml on!

17. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

\i'd never say the standard 1.8T is "quick". Infact ive had to do a fair bit of work to mine to get the handling and performance sorted.
    with AUM engine i got 221bhp with a single remap (running about 18psi). I did this without upgrading the brakes or suspension first which is a MUST. I sorted the brakes and got coilovers/arb's later and it felt like a completely different car.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  18. WOW

wow New Member

I'm just about to trade my 1.8T in on Thursday for a MkV, It's an AUM engine been remapped and puts out 225 BHP only remapped last summer. Drove the Mkv by mistake and had to have one.

Anyone in the Weston area wishes they can have my one by Thursday for 2300, Black 5 Door, full leather, Air con, R32 Centre console trim and door piece. Forge Dump Valve. New running gear, rear struts, disks all round, new Turbo Boost pipe which is common with this age car, 158k, new cambelt & Tensioner last November along with a new water pump, 2 Previous owners, I've had the car for the last 6 years. Very good condition!!! Cracking car for the next owner