How to convert a MK4 1.8t to G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by notenoughtime, Apr 1, 2014.

1. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I have just bought a 1999 mk4 golf gti which needed a new clutch and thought rather than it needing a new dual mass flywheel to i would replace it with a solid G60 flywheel. If you want to have your flywheel lightened before the conversion then you can do so.

This car is fitted with an 1.8T 20v AUG engine, but the conversion does suit other engine codes to.

You will need;

1 x G60 flywheel

1 x Vr6 clutch kit (sachs would be best but slightly more expensive)

6 x Flywheel bolts

6 x clutch to flywheel bolts

I have a 2 post ramp so it does make things a little easier, but it can be done on axle stands ramps etc

Firstly I removed the battery cover and battery

[​IMG]

next remove the air filter there are two plugs on the back and one on the MAF sensor undo the jubilee clip and the two philips screws and lift the top of the filter out whilst it is out you can check condition of filter and replace if necessary, There are then 3 10mm bolts holdong the bottom of the air filter in place. I also removed the engine cover by undoing the 4 screws

[​IMG]

under the battery there is the battery tray held in with 4 10mm bolts, remove that i stored the parts in the boot of the car so they don`t get lost or stepped on

[​IMG]

I then removed the power steering pipe this is held in two places with 13mm nut and a bolt, Then i removed the starter motor held in with two 18mm bolts

[​IMG]

I then had the car in the air and undone the gearbox bolts underneath and gearbox mount at the rear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then removed the n/s drive shaft 30mm nut on the disc end and six multispline bolts on gearbox end, caliper removed for access

[​IMG]

gear change cables removed i undone the three 13mm bolts that hold the bracket on and levered the joints off. you can then access the slave cylinder bolts 2 x 13mm and tuck these up out of the way

[​IMG]

just above the o/s drive shaft is the speed sensor plug unplug that (under foil cover picture isn`t that clear!) and remove the 10mm bolt that hold the sheild on above the shaft, you can also unbolt the shaft whilst your there

[​IMG]

you should be pretty much there by now, I then undo the remaining gearbox bolts and the earth lead that is bolted to the bell housing you can then undo the top gearbox bolt. You need to support the enging and you need this at an angle to get the box out. once you have it supported you can undo the gearbox mount 2 x18mm bolts and three bolts holding the mount to the box, you then should be able to remove the box with a wiggle and lever. Once the box is out you can remove the clutch and then remove the flywheel carefull its heavy.
    Get the G60 flywheel and bolt it in place of the dual mass one using the correct bolts

This picture shows the rear main oil seal check for leaks and replace if necessary

[​IMG]

G60 flywheel in place

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    tshirt2k and Richard Mk2 like this.
  2. notenoughtime

Flywheel bolts need to be torqued to 44ft/lbs + 90deg plus use thread lock just to be on the safe side. You can then fit the clutch plate and cover remembering to centre the plate, I done it by eye but you should use the tool, i personally don`t usually have a problem doing it by eye. Again use thread lock on clutch cover bolts tighten to approx 18-22ft/lbs

[​IMG]

Before refitting gearbox check for leaks or damage if all ok fit new release bearing this just clips back in place, clean everything before fitting to make sure no dirt is in there.

[​IMG]

Then basically it is reversal of removal, Getting the box back on is a bit tricky as you have to get the driveflange over the flywheel but once thats done your nearly home and dry!

I usually get a couple of engine/gearbox bolts in place and then bolt the gearbox mount back on, You can then get to everything easily

once gearbox mount is in get the slave cylinder back on, You can then test the clutch pedal for operation before refitting everything and then find you have a problem

[​IMG]

Hope this helps a few of you out there!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Wish I had a two post ramp but a three tonne fork lift does the job pretty well lol

Nice thread buy the way:thumbup:

4. notenoughtime

Updated thread :thumbup:

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Now that you have done this change to the vehicle, can you give us your experiences about how the car drives and if there is any difference in NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness) compared to a good working DMF?

Thanks in advance.

6. notenoughtime

Tbh honest no difference in any NVH at all, There wasn`t much if anything wrong with the DMF but they do need to changed as a precaution and because of the cost it makes sense to change to this setup, It has made it a very light clutch pedal which makes it easier in traffic.

I think there is a slight difference in the way revs quicker but not much as there was a only a small difference in weight between the two and if you was to put a lightened flywheel on there it would be more improvement on this.

Hope this helps guys, I will add part numbers and guide prices for your items