HOW TO: Convert MK2 seats to fit a MK1

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by rubjonny, Jan 19, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

In addition to the existing PDF guide floating round the internet, I thought I would post up my own how2 which details how I did it on my own cabby last weekend. It's a little easier imo as it does not involve any kind of metal bracket fabrication :)
    I guess this would work on scirocco and corrado frames, but I've never stripped those down so cant say for sure.

Parts required:
    2x base frames (duh)
    2x thick zipties, or 1x really long thick ziptie
    1x small ziptie
    Possibly 1x spare slide handle tilt bracket

The first step to this is if you have a height adjust driver seat, you need to source a frame with the height adjust lever on the side, rather than the front. This is because obviously if the lever is on the front its in the way of where you want the slide handle to be! Trouble with this is only pre-90 base frames are available with side handles, afaik all post-90 frames have the handle on the front. Pre/post 90 seat bases arnt the same either, so swapping is not an option!
    I got mine out of a random MK2 GTI, they are out there so dont give up :)

Anyway, onwards with the guide. I wopnt go into strippign the seat as thats already covered in the how2 section, skip forward to having a pair of bare driver & passenger base frames.

Driver seat:
    Step 1- Remove both slider handles, unbolt the U brackets from the front and remove. Take all the bushes off as well, and remove both the tension springs.

Step 2- Bolt the passenger side slide handle to the driver seat, and refit the passenger spring the same way you took it off. The frame has 2 pre-drilled holes for the front U clamp so this is dead easy!

Step 3- Hold the handle roughly in the correct place, and secure with the thick ziptie(s) to the side of the frame rail where the fabric is looped over. Then use the small thin ziptie to hold the thick ziptie to the handle, like so:
    seatconversion1.jpg seatconversion2.jpg

and thats the driver seat done!

Passenger seat:
    Either repeat as per the driver side if its a height adjust, or if its a non adjustible seat then do as follows:
    Step 1- flip the seat the right way up, and note the U clamp spot welded to the frame:
    seatconversion3.jpg seatconversion4.jpg

Step 2- You have 2 options, drill the spot welds then remove the clamp with a hammer & chisel, or use a spare front U clamp from another seat. Either way put the U clamp in the right spot, then mark the frame with a punch or a pen, and drill out 2 pilot holes for some self-tapping screws. Then bolt on the clamp, and fit your handle, simples!
    seatconversion5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i did away with the zipties in the end and tack welded a nut to the side of the hole for the lever to sit in
    but only after the zipties gave up after 5 years
    they have no real strain on them

nice thead

should sticky this if it has not been already