How to fit flywheel?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by HacKage, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

if you havent got a mate to help you lift it from above and you aint ripped to death with huge arm and chest muscles use a trolly jack to help with lowering and lifting it into place.

2. HacKage Forum Member

3. Golf Nut Pete

support the engine with a brace otherwise the engine is gonna fall down pretty bad.

4. HacKage Forum Member

ive got the engine supported with a jack and block of wood

5. Golf Nut Pete

ah, good times :thumbup: . its easy realy, just a bit of a pain with regards to space thats all youll be fine just keep goin.

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Should have 2 at the top, 2 for the starter, and 1 at the lower rear facing the other direction. Plus the 3 small 'crap cover' bolts.

7. HacKage Forum Member

Where is the other top bolt in relation to this?
    [​IMG]

8. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

6 inches to the left at the same level

9. Laura.stella New Member

I think your doing really well matey..... i did mine and i'm of the female species and to top that i'm blonde! It is a bit fiddley getting it off and on as i found out but dont get frustrated... Like he said above it's lack of space that's the ****er... I will you well... :p

10. HacKage Forum Member

I didnt get much done yesterday as it was ****ing down, and today I just couldnt be bothered, so the car was left like this until tomoro [:D]
    [​IMG]

11. Laura.stella New Member

lol..... nice one!

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

That looks like the top level of the Concert Hall carpark...odd place to change a flywheel...:lol: :lol:

[​IMG]

13. mk28vICED Forum Member

i often remove the gearbox earth bracket, the big jobbie at the top of the gearbox where the gearbox mount bolt passes through, you'll need to undo the gear linkage casting which is held to the back of the gearbox by 3 13mm bolts, this allows you to get the gearbox low enough to clear the chassis leg when your pulling it off the clutch/engine. to get the passenger driveshaft abit more out the way just undo the three balljoint-wishbone bolts and pull the front of the brake disc to pull it out a couple of inches, i had to get someone who lives nearby to hold the disc out so the driveshaft was not a problem. the gearbox will most likely be stuck in the clutch, try to pull it off straight by taking the weight of the gearbox and give it a little wiggle, when it slides off an inch or so you need to pull the diff up from the back till the diff flange is at the top, then take the weight of the gearbox in the middle and it just lifts up and over the flywheel.. this part can take 10 mins so you better be feeling strong or have a mate. i ended up with the g'box on my chest and i couldnt get out from under the car lucky someone was about to help lift the damn thing off me.

14. HacKage Forum Member

Provides great acoustics for when I need to do plenty of shouting :p Its just the car park where I stay in Shawlands, If it wasn't so open to the element it would be brilliant

Yea, my boss told me to take the track rod end out the hub and undo the brake caliper, so now the hub is free basically with the driveshaft and ive got it cable tied to the strut so it doesnt fall

15. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Holy crap. I admire you for doing a flywheel swap there!

By the way, I was going to say that if you just wanted to get a standard KR flywheel off to Mart (Hotgolf) so that you didn't have to rush to change yours then you'll get hold of another flywheel easily. For instance I have a scrap KR block on my driveway with one on it. But it looks like you're already on your way to getting it done now.

There are other things that are worthwhile doing while you're at it. The main thing being to renew all of the gear linkage bushes unless you've already done this. The parts cost peanuts from GSF and it's so worthwhile.

Cheers,

Trev

16. HacKage Forum Member

Yea I reckon Ive not go long to go to get it off, Ive got all the engine-gearbox bolts off bar the one on the engine side, both driveshafts out (the o/s one was a complete nightmare!), front engine mount out, so basicall what else is there to do?
    Just take out the last engine-gearbox bolt, take off the gearbox support arm, then just wreste the gearbox?

17. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

It has probably already been mentioned somewhere above in this thread, but once the gearbox is free to move, you need to rotate it before it can be pulled away from the engine. The reason for needing to rotate it is so that the driveshaft flange that sits behind the engine block moves upwards. If you don't rotate the gearbox and just try to pull it, you'll never get it off because the driveshaft flange catches against the block or metal plate (can't remember what). Facing from the gearbox side, you rotate the gearbox anti-clockwise maybe something like 45 degrees so that the flanges go upwards. Then you can wrestle it off.

Trev

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

after that get ready for some fun because that box is coming down. i recon it weighs 30-35kg.

once thats off, youre nearly there

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

It tends to catch on the flywheel itself. Wish I`d heard this tip before doing mine...[8(]

Even with the help of a mate, and a pit, it was a tw*t!

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it catches on part of the block first if you dont rotate it at all.

when you rotate it further and try to remove it it catches the flywheel. you then have to angle it and lift it to get it over. its not that bad

refitting can be a cow

i did a thread/post the other week abuot when i did mine

IMO, leave the driveshaft pointing at the ground. haul the box on, it goes on easy. it can be done with the shaft in place, but its hard work

when the box's input shaft is in the friction disc and basically seated, you can then bring the shaft around the front and over the top of the box.

turn the wheel all the way to the left to get the shaft on top of the box then turn if full lock to the right to get it positioned next to the diff flange

easy bruv.