How to fit these front speakers in a Mk2? (pics)

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Alexf, May 14, 2011.

1. Alexf Forum Member

Hi Guys,

Asked for new speakers for the 16v for my Birthday and got a lovely set of Rainbows front and rear. Some of the best on the market for these cars apparently.

So the rears went in fine but I haven't worked out how to put the fronts in. BTW my birthday was back in October [:$] so really need to get them in as it makes me look a tad ungrateful.

Thing is, the original speakers are screwed in, but these seem to just have clips?

see pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you try and push the speakers into the dash holes they are too big, you also cant hook them in underneath on the clips and then push them in because of the design.

Im stumped. There are no screw holes either. They also do not rest on the top because they are very loose if you do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Alex

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

very odd, never seen that style before! do you have the old dash speakers? if so, give them a date with an angle grinder to make yourself an adaptor kit ;)

3. Alexf Forum Member

hmm I might have somewhere, thats a good idea thanks. Also, will removing the foam on the speaker covers affect the sound at all, because they're all torn atm.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i doubt it, i think the foam is there for looks more than anything else. mine is all gone too and they sound fine to me :)

5. Alexf Forum Member

thanks very much :)

6. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Just a thought, are they speakers for the door pods?