how to get more power from my GTI

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by kobi.li, Oct 27, 2003.

1. kobi.li New Member

Hello you all... [8D]
    I live in Israel and I have a golf GTI 16v mk2 (KR engine 139hp) year model 1990. I would like to get more power out of it so I need youre advice.
    I know about 3 options:
    1. To buy a kit of pistons and crankshaft that raises it from 1.8L to 2.0L and the power to 165hp
    2. To turbo charge it, but then it will loose the smoothness and linearity of an atmospheric engine
    3. To buy an Audi TT 180 or 225hp engine instead

What is the best option?
    You see, my engine has had 120k mile already and the valve seals leak oil, so should I change it or re built it?
    Thanks

2. tylerrules84 Forum Member

depends on how much you know/how much money you have/how much more power you want. A TT conversion would be a pain into a Mk2, unless you really know what you're doing. As for the first option, you might be better off just getting a 2.0 16v engine and going from that. As for turbocharging it, personally I'd be terrified to run a turbo with any significant boost on an engine in that condition.

3. kobi.li New Member

Im not going to turbo charge it in that condition. No way!! Im not dumb. I asked whether I should re built it or try to get a good condition used one before considering any modes.

4. jake Forum Member

get a block from a 2.0 passat 16v and use that with your head and cams which are easy to rebuild and flow better than the 2.0 head I'd heard. PLenty of people on this forum have done it and seem to get good results for easy work. I dunno how easy they are to get in Israel though.

If you get a TT engine then get ALL the electrcs including the ignition key as its all part of the immobliser. also plenty of info on here about it. (somewhere)

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`m thinking of a 2l for mine, it`s not really the power that`s the issue it`s the torque.

Mine`s 155bhp and 124lbft, a good 2l will give you another 20lbft which is nice!

Obviously a tt conversion would be nice but it`s in a totally different price range!

6. pimp daddy New Member

i would get a new engine then put a turbo on it with like 12 psi

7. kobi.li New Member

Well, I finally finished working on my 16v. :)
    The original engine was opened totally and the cylinders were found in perfect condition, so my mechanic (his name is Ian and he moved to Israel from the UK) replaced the piston rings, 2 cams, valve seals and more so my car runs like new now. All of it cost me a bit less then 1,000 gbp. Well, for now I decided not to turbocharge it.