how to make a 'lights on buzzer'

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by gorilly, Apr 24, 2007.

1. gorilly Forum Member

this was written by Roccoaster over on the scirocco register forum but i thought some of you might find it handy

Got fed up with your battery going flat because you have left your lights on?

Build yourself a Lights-On buzzer...

Parts needed : (these can all be bought from Maplins/RS)

1 * 12 volt Buzzer
    2 * 3amp diodes (1N5400 or similar)
    Length of 1.5mm cable.

One you have the parts, first thing is to remove the drivers side shelf tray and cover, so you can access the wiring.

Now locate the Brown/White wire coming from the door, and cut it at a suitable place so that you can solder in the diode, the black lead from the buzzer and original door switch wire. Make sure you you have the diode in the right way, the printed line on the diode should be towards the door switch.

Next locate the Cigar lighter and cut the Grey/Blue wire and solder in a short length of wire, now solder the diode to this wire (again ensuring it is the right way around). next solder the red lead from the buzzer to the diode.

Now test everything works, and either wrap with pvc tape or use heat shrink to insulate the new wires.

Now screw the buzzer somewhere suitable, and refit the shelf/covers/

The Wiring Diagram,

[​IMG]

2. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

I can't see the diagram?

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I can see it but the RHS looks confusing, one end of the diode seems to connect to both buzzer and door-switch wire, other end of the diode going nowhere? Edit: Sorry missed the little legend "BR/WH", my mistake.

There's a Maplin kit to do the same job, though perhaps not as cheaply.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  4. FSARoyster Forum Member

Excellent! I've been after something like this for both my Golfs. Being a bit picky, but I'm assuming there are different types of buzzer? By this I mean different sounds, given the choice I'd like to get away from the old fashioned permant buzzing to a more modern pinging noise as in newer cars when you have the door open type thing :/

Thanks again

Rog

5. Drew21 Forum Member

pop quiz:

you only need one of those diodes and I'll leave it to you budding auto electricians to tell me which one!!

seriously now, this is a great little circuit which costs about 2 and 10mins to put in. Its the first thing I put in all my bangers as I'm hopeless with the "headlights left on" problem. So Gorilly's post is very much seconded.

I discovered the need for the one diode the hard way (ie a small current leak backwards through the courtesy light circuit) but the other diode is not needed

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I'd guess at the LH one being unnecessary, but 1 Becks and 2 glasses of red wine into the evening, don't take my word for it! Edit: This is apparently, as I suspected, wrong!

I too consider this, or equivalent, a great little electrical mod.

At the risk of (unwelcome) hijacking, has anyone else made a little array of high-brightness red LEDs to sit at the top of the rear screen and make a 'high' brake light repeater? Mine's rather scruffy (I don't worry about looks much), but works a treat. It just wires in parallel with one of the existing brake-lights. I know you can buy such things, but I prefer DIY, and it cost about 5 total, and is ultra bright. I think there are 5 or 7 LEDs and one series resistor.

Pete

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  7. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I really want to change the buzzer on my mk3 to a nice modern pinging noise. Whenever i open the door with the lights on it makes the same noise as one of my dads old Nissan bangers and it's quite traumatising!

8. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

The LHS rectifier is needed to avoid a small current flowing from the positive interior light supply back into the cigar lighter supply when that supply is switched off.

The RHS rectifier is there to ensure the buzzer only sounds when the driver side door is opened.

9. bigben Forum Member

Excellent - I had posted a thread a while ago to find out if anyone had a tip on sorting one of these buzzers out. I would have definately made it over-complicated if I had attempted it myself !

Cheers to Roccoaster (and Gorilly for posting here)

10. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Anyone know where the buzzer is on a mk3?

11. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I remember seeing somewhere that Mk3 one is on back of light switch which fits onto Mk2.
    Or was it ?

12. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Guess I could get the buzzer going and listen out to where it is before i go to the scrap yard to find a bingy bongy noise one

13. Bazil Forum Member

Hi i need some help. I cant find the 3amp diodes (1N5400 or similar) Length of 1.5mm cable anywhere. Can anyone tell me were i can find them?

Thanks

14. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

15. newkid

newkid Forum Member

16. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Nice one newkid, I might just get me one of those babies..:lol:

17. golfpaul Forum Member

i've fitted somethin similar to mine but fitted an led in the dash that lights when the engine is on and lights on but flashes when the engine is off but lights on - really needed as i've left the lights on numerous times.

18. Bazil Forum Member

Hi. Ive just stripped my car panels off to see if i can get the buzzer fitted and there is know brown and white wire.
    There is a brown and blue, brown and yellow, brown and grey and just plan brown. Which 1 is it?
    Is it the brown and yellow 1?
    Ive Found the Grey/Blue wire at the cigar lighter.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

19. Bazil Forum Member

Hi.
    I have managed to make a start. I have done from the cigar lighter up until when i have to cut the brown/white wire in my car, but i dont have brown/white. So i connected it to my door light wire (didnt use the other diode at this connection) and it works fine but when the headlights are on and the door is open the buzzer buzzies with the ignition on and off? Is that suppose to be like that or is there a way it only works with the ignition off?

20. Bazil Forum Member

When you say that i must remove the drivers side shelf tray and cover are you talking about the shelf just under the steering wheel, cause i think ive been in the wrong place. Ive been checking the wires that come out from the door itself (ie the elec windows, elec mirrors, door lights etc..)
    Am i looking in the right place?