How to make a Stealth Shelf

Discussion in 'ICE' started by JJ VDUB, Aug 17, 2004.

1. JJ VDUB Forum Member

If I were you I would make an entire stealth shelf from scratch, only took me about 4 hours total to make one for my mk3 less than 20 quid in materials too :)

To stealth your current shelf the steps are as follows.

1. Get a piece of 20mm mdf big enough to mount both speakers. cut holes so you can mount the speakers to the back 'Underneath' of the piece of mdf.

2.Now strip the current carpet from your parcel shelf.

3.Screw through your shelf into the mdf so the holes in the shelf line up with the holes in the mdf.

4. Hammer your speaker grilles flat the best way is between a flat surface and use a small flat piece of wood and a hammer. (you need to do this or the carpet will sag in the holes and look awful)

5. now tack these down with small nails. (think they are called furnature pins?) use as many as necessary to hold them down tight.

6. Once the grills are in place use sealent all the way round the edge where the grill meets the shelf, (this stops nasty buzzing if it is not a tight fit.

7. Spray glue all over and add the new carpet over the shelf. get some one to help to pull it really tight.

8. Mount the speakers to the back of the mdf (make sure the screws arent too long) and your done :)

hope this helps a little.