how to open rounded allen bolt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G60KG, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jono395 Forum Member

yerr cheers tim.. ill get onto that idea... and if it goes wrong, im comin 2 you:lol: :lol:

nice explanation ther matey:p , i couldnt of said it better:lol:

2. James_mk2 Forum Member

not too patronising i hope? :lol:

what have you done to your 1.8 driver by the way? i got mine to 125bhp and 150-ish ft.lbs with a cam and weber 32/36, but haven't seen anyone else bother tuning them, probably because they do what i'm in the middle of doing and put in something else instead!

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

whats paper got to do with anything...a cable tie is for holding a handfull of wires together ffs, if you can use enough force to split a steel socket open then a poo cable tie aint gona help

ive never seen a mechanic with cable ties round his sockets to add strength and prevent em cracking...should i wrap some bandage around my breaker bar to double its strength?

buy some proper sockets ...proper tool for the job gets it done

get some cable ties on ebay...world famous socket protectors patent pending lol, or some duct tape thats hard to snap with your fingers , would a few strips of that stop my cam belt breaking?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm with pigbladder on this one.

If you're resorting to cable ties to stop your sockets from shattering, you need better sockets. Not only are good quality tools stronger, but they fit better, so you don't get so many rounded nuts, or have to stop mid-job to go and buy another one, due to a breakage.

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

lol cable ties, thats a good one,

tim

6. jono395 Forum Member

the driver only has a weber 32/34 manual choke carb with GTI cam and exhaust..
    it has a GTI gearbox 2....:p

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

FIXED!

With an Irwin bolt gripper, a hammer, a 19mm impact socket, and a cordless impact wrench!

Bzzzzzztttt!!!!

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Cheers Mike, I would have ended up seriously injuring the car and probably myself if I was left to my own devices. Bolt grippers and an impact wrench definitely on my shopping list.