I and my 16V from Guadeloupe say Hi !!

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by xav, Sep 20, 2022.

1. XAV

xav New Member

Hello VW fellas
    hi, I'm Xav from Guadeloupe or Gwada (quick and easy)
    I'm here for my 16v to give her the best tips and attention she deserve and i think i can found all of those here...
    So here i'm !!

History

So it's a OBD1 ABF from Germany I bought 6 years ago like that
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going for that
    [​IMG]

And end up in this beauty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She have now 216K Km on dash and still got it.

I got a head gasket to celebrate my first year with her ...cheers So i got everything done to the block to start a new life.

Today she's fine but aged .. So i'm processing to redo all i can from wiring harness to block.
    I redo all both engine wiring enterily because oem one was a mess... I found wire wound, about to cut off and so . Explained why i had many weird behaviour from the engine especially
    That mot***fuc**** cooling temp sensor [xxx][xxx]
    Clean intake manifold with a 2 day bath to clean off the shit in it
    So everything back on and she roll :thumbup::thumbup:

Voila ... for now Thanks for reading :)

Steffen likes this.
  2. daNpy Forum Member

Hola señor!
    Welcome here. Nice Golf, she still looks pretty good!

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Very nice looking MK3.
    You have detailed it like an anniversary model.

Just one corrections as OBD is a USDM term, there is no such thing as an "OBD1" ABF. In the same way there is no such thing as a OBD2 ABF.
    However you have most likely a pre 95 model with no immo and a 2x2 diagnostic link connector and small differences on the engine hardware.
    If it is a German model, you may also have an early 4-2-1, tubular exhaust and downpipe.

Thanks for sharing it here and feel free to ask an questions.

4. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Welcome good looking car you have there.

5. XAV

xav New Member

Thanks for her .
    So basically OBD doesn't really exisct on MK3 ... Yeah i have the 2x2 diag link....Ok i always think it was OBD diag well

Yes it was a 4-2-1 downpipe....

Here some specs

Anniversary exterior look alike
    Audi TT 2006 wheels 7x16 square with 13mm front 16mm rear spacers
    EBC brake disc front
    D2 Racing Circuit coilovers
    Rear camber Shims
    Powersprint complete exhaust Downpipe 4-2-1 -> Sport cata -> Rear muffler -> S pipe -> exhaust
    Man Air Filter in oem airbox but boa and air duct in lower front below right blinker oem airbox fully empty
    Air Filter on oil ventilation no retunr in the throttle body...
    And a eprom ...don't know anything on it execpt i have no rev limiter but a cut for ignition and fuel...

I read there and there there are some ABF with "normal rev limiter" and some with mine [:v:] I dind't know cars with no rev limiter existed

Now my question is : It's my ABF who can't rev normally or the eprom fault ?
    Becaus i've an another ECU with an oem eprom and i crave to try it on mine ECU ....but mine is a BOSCH and the other a SIEMENS.

Y'all what you think about that?

6. watercooled Forum Member

Mate in my country had the same car and Audi wheels ,always liked it and it came up for sale as he was moving back to the UK but I couldn't sell my other car quick enough and it sold for less than my offer bugger it.
    Nice car always been a fan of the 2 door mk3's .

7. XAV

xav New Member

I feel you ... loose a car due to timing it's pain in the *** . I lived it with a coupé E30 i was about to bought to saved my E30 325i... car was sold the day before i came [xx(][xx(] Shit

I agree 2 doors MK3 are more beautifull the 4 door look like a limo for me it have a style but not mine

8. XAV

xav New Member

So nobody had tested if siemens chip can perform on bosch ecu or i have to open a new thread for that ?
    I searched here but it's almost how to do this or that on ECU ....May be i missed something

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

any abf ecu will work on any car, just if your car is early without immo and you fit late ecu you'll have to either bypass it or wire in a mk3 immo box and pair to your ecu. I dont think the chips are compatible, and even if they were fitting the later chip to early ecu would still give you the same issue with immobiliser I think.

for late ecu you can change the chip for an immo-off version, but there may be extra hardware on the main ecu board which actually makes the immo work?

10. XAV

xav New Member

I though so same ref ecu could stat my mk3... but it appear that when i plug siemens ecu the car won't start at all. If it was immo off in it, the car would start and cut off just after. I readed that's how an immo do to non immo cars. Maybe i get it wrong ? i'm gonna look for

Motherboards are different in their wire that's why i think the car won't start (all system are BOSCH). There again i'm just assuming

If it's the immo which mess with, well i'm good to buy a chip on ebay to see if i normally reving

11. rubjonny

if it doesnt even try to start that woudl suggest the ecu is broken, as you say it should run breifly even if the immo was active. whats the part number on the ecu just to double check

the ABF wiring looms are the same for all years so any age ecu will work with any age engine/harness (early ecu wont plug into late harness till you modify the plug housing, VW's attempt to prevent people bypassing the immobiliser too easily :lol:)

12. XAV

xav New Member

Ecu is 037 906 024 AB
    Didn't know harness was different either... the one i plug in to redo mine was exactly se same with the right color coding of vw So maybe the ecu was from an early mk3 too .

Yeah i think Ecu broken to but i wanted to try the chip

13. Toyotec

OBD = Onboard Diganostics.
    OBD2 is the USDM monitoring standard which usually has a J1962 standardised diagnositc port.
    The ABF powertrain was never exported to the US and NA market so cannot be "OBD2". It does not mean it lacks onboard diagnosis.

Early cars 1993 to 1994 models had a 2x2 diagnostic connector.

Your 037906024 AB is a non immo ECU box.

ECU boxes were made by either early Bosch or Siemens VDO.

Mainland EU ABF engines, found on Seats, and VWs had 2 revisions of a tubular 4-2 exhaust manifold, with a 2 to 1 downpipe

There are several other engine control numbers I work with here.

037906024 G, AE, BE, CE

There is a common eprom sold for them in EU made by powerchips.cz.
    Personally I make my own, with or without IMMO off.

14. Toyotec

Not possible.

AB chips do not work in Siemens AE/BE ECUs.

AE chips do not retro fit in BE ECU either.

G chips do work with BE ECUs.

But then if you know what you are doing, that does not matter as I can make non immo AE or BE ECUs.

15. rubjonny

cool thanks for confirming that one

16. XAV

xav New Member

Thanks you Toyotec for clarifying all that.
    So chip from the siemens won't do anything considering retro fitting you mentioned
    Ima proceed to buy one or may i ask in mp if you know what i mean...:p
    I tried powerchips but seems doesn't work for me or maybe i'll go on Ebay for one.

I'm going to open a thread for issues of my ABF, there some bullshits she do wich make me going nut, it will be more simple...

Thanks all ...See yall there

:thumbup:

17. MattRX New Member

Nice ride, Xav! Welcome

18. XAV

xav New Member

Thanks @MattRX

Hi every one long no see...
    Sorry for that... some shits i'm going through but it's ok for now
    I'll open the tread for the mecanical issues that the mk3 get tomorow
    Yesterday she got a "huge" leak of oil starting from the head engine (camshaft seal i'm pretty sure)... I'm already thanks you @rubjonny and others for the tips to diy...I'm pretty scared to do it cause everything about timing scare the hell out of me[:s][:s].. But i've to do it

Thanks see you there.:thumbup:

19. richhasbigtits New Member

Beautiful car!