I hadn't heard of this Mk1 handling/adjustments?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by fthaimike, Sep 11, 2006.

1. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

no should'nt have to cut anything, the sleeves basically sit on the shoulder on the strut piston rod so the topmount can be bolted to the strut in a fixed postion on the rod. basically the same as a standard mount.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

This is how mine look at the moment:

[​IMG]

3. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

The other problem you would get using solid topmounts with non height adjustable suspension though is that you would be raising the ride height by about 40mm as the solid topmounts sit down in the turret.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

That's what made me wonder as i saw a car where they had removed part of the turret.

No prob's, could always just make the front adjustable then.

5. mexicorich Forum Member

Mr hillclimber I can't see your pic and would have loved to

Chris Eyre - in summary what do you do with the hacksaw and washers?

My primitive assessment of Mk1s has been that they don't handle well with the back of the car down (and more caster) so had never thought of increasing it - perhasp I need a rethink

6. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Excuse the lived-in look !.... increasing the castor works for me [:D]

[​IMG]

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

What other mods from standard are you using up front?

8. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

[​IMG]

Just the bottom arm set up and these cut "n"shut Bonrath top mount to reduce the chance of the dampers running out of travel and crashing out. The dampers are bilstein race/rallye units converted to coil-overs with 400ib springs and a standard GTi (at the moment) roll bar.

I run 2.5 degree's static neg camber, the castor is set at (i think from memory, got it written down somewhere) 3.5 degree's which allows the camber to raise on the turn to 3 degree's, on the standard set up the camber reduce's to around 1-1.5 degree on the turn.

There's so much extra bite that the first sprint i did after fitting the lower arms the car kept swapping ends until i altered my driving style !

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

cheers for that, does your steering feel much heavier now mate?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Here's a few photos of the original article - apologies for blurredness. My Canon was not exactly playing ball & no scanner to hand...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

No not really Mike. I noticed the steering to have a slightly heavier feel after the Quaife went in (my imagination or anyone else notice this ?) and "maybe" a very small amount of extra effort is needed since the castor increase but hardly noticable, my wife's Mini requires "a lot" more effort to park on 6x10 rims than the Golf does (though it's VW shaped replacement should be ok next week..[:D] ).

Mind you, it may all change when the quick rack goes in. Plus, one of the down side's to the adjustable arms is a reduction in useful steering lock as the tie-rod part is straight as opposed to the curve in the standard wishbone, so the wheel come's into contact with it during tight turning. It's never a problem on the road or in competition, just a bit more awkward when i have to get it out of its resting place in my mates back garden :lol:

I think for a budget type mod though Chris's lower arm mod looks like a good alternative (i have a copy of that as well somewhere), would be a more practical (and a lot cheaper) way of achieving a similar thing for a more regular use road car.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Definitely v. v. cheap!

Jason - what sort of pin (material/design) was used as a replacement for the standard outer balljoint pin? Some applications I've seen (non-VW) involve threads on both ends.

I assume there is a (round topped?) spacer between the bottom of the hub and the rose joint to allow it to articulate, unless it has stepped ridges for location of the rose joint?

13. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Dont ask me i didnt make it :lol:

I've no idea on the material but can find out for you. I dont think the pin is threaded both ends, just at the bottom with a cut-out at the top to accept the standard push through and clamp bolt.

I think theres a stepped ridge for the lower rose joint to butt against, dont remember a seperate spacer (like the ones on the inner mounting point). Will have a look at both for you next time i'm at the car.

I plan on stripping the front suspension to copy at some point for my new long-term project (pics up next week hopefuly) so maybe able to have a few made if the price can be made realistic... and the subsequent divorce does'nt get expensive :lol:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  14. fthaimike Forum Addict

[​IMG]

Could you one of those on mine without having to use coilovers?

15. barny Forum Member

Any chance of some sharper shots or scanned versions chris ?

16. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Yeah no problem, though if it see's a "lot" of road use you may find the rose joints wear quicker.

I think for road use though i would be inclined to try the method that Chris detailed in that article and see how you get along with that first, it would be a whole lot cheaper thats for sure !

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Will do in due course - about to buy scanner but 'pooter playing up....

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Mine is more a track car now, is chris's way reversable or adjustable?

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No - you can adjust the modified set back to standard by putting the packing washers aft of the wishbones.

Or run 2 wishbone sets.

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

I don't mind either way, whichever is cheaper i suppose & improves track usage.

What's the cost difference of the two & would you expect the same returns?

Cheers.