Ibiza Cupra Sport 16v iTB Track Car - Aero & Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dave R, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Picked the snot up today, the power top end is the same as before but with a bit more in the mid range.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to remove the bumper to get it on and off the trailer, even to get it onto my drive the bumper needs to come off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it's finally nice to see the engine sitting back in it's rightful place inside a freshly painted bay!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although we are not 100% sure what caused the engine failure the loss of pressure at times isn't something I want happening again, had a few problems with the dry sump kit I purchased which would result spending even more money having one off bits made because they couldn't be sourced. We decided to go for the Accusump set up, the one thing I do like about this is if the pump actually fails this will dump the pressure into the engine and with my alarm on the Dash 2 I may have seconds to save the engine.... More than you usually have lol.

This set up uses the electric pressure control so when the engine pressure drops below 50psi the Accusump will dump the pressure into the engine and will then re-store the pressure when the engine pressure goes above 60psi so it will constantly send pressure back and fore between the Accusump & engine to maintain at least 50psi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can switch the Accusump on before firing the engine, this will load the engine with 80/90 psi (stored in the Accusump) and will basically pre-lube the engine before starting.
    [​IMG]

My air box and air feed in the grille
    [​IMG]

And finally a photo of the Ceramic coated manifold I had done a while ago
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The camber that I am now running on the front, the tyres are close to the suspension now so I'll be fitting 15mm spacers or I am thinking of fitting 17" alloys because the price of slick tyres compared to 16" and they much easier to get hold of.... So I may got a bit wider.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`ve heard good things about the accusumps too :thumbup:

That`s one tidy engine bay ! :clap:

May I suggest a passenger footrest ? I have one and people who have been in cars without always comment how they prefer being able to brace their feet on something as it makes them feel more secured. If they have somewhere to put their feet, they are less likely to brace on the accusump solenoid valve too.. ;)

3. 12valver Forum Member

I am glad to hear it is back to full health. It is looking good.

4. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

I have got a carbon one but I was disappointed of the weight of it.... and if people don't like it then don't get in the car is my opinion. I'm thinking about building a little guard around the Accusump anyway

5. Nige

They usually don`t realise they need one until you brake hard for the first time lol

6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

First class prep on this car. If you planing to move to 17s order a set with a lower ET then you won't need spacers. What spec wheels are you running at the moment.

7. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Yea I'm thinking of a different offset, otherwise I will need to replace my wheels studs too. Will play about with the spacers with the 16" and then use that to pick an offset.

At the moment I'm running Kumho V70A's 205/45/16 but looking on eBay I could get a set of used Clio Cup 17" slicks for the price of one Kumho tyre lol.

8. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Had to do some work to the snot before I'm track ready but I had a little trial fitment of the splitter. Got to say I'm pleased with the finished product

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adey and Sirguydo like this.
  9. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

That's neat as fook!

Dave R likes this.
  10. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Been doing a bit of work on the car since the last update, not a lot to talk about and issues still on going but heres the news so far;

When I had my Brembos refurbed by my mate at Godspeed Brakes he found that I had cooked the dust seal so Ive done some brake duct feeds to help cool them down a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Autosport International show back in January I got speaking to Team Dynamics and placed a order for 12 alloys / 3 sets. 2 in white and 1 set in black with the correct offset I need and VW centre bore. So Ive a track day set with medium/hard tyres preferably slick tyres, a soft set for some sprint racing I have in mind and a wet set for the rainy days.

[​IMG]

Ive ordered 2 sets of soft Kumho V70As and one of these sets are being cut into the wet pattern that I had from Kumho Motorsport like this;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I got my car back from Saxon Motorsport Ive had problems with selecting reverse and could no engage 5th gear, myself and Mark bit this down to the play in the selector tower on top of the gearbox with the plastic bush cage inside the tower, the weak bottom mount and the plastic slider on the selector arms. I decided to uprate everything with the MTS tower bush, bottom mount and had the bush machined like in a thread I found on uprating the tower and used a earlier tower from a mk2 Golf / Corrado.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?204165-VW-Motorsport-shifters-and-shifter-towers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The original bottom mount vs the new MTS mount

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long story short still having problems with selecting 5th and its very stiff when moving the gear lever side to side. this is still on going and stressing me out so will update when weve found a fix to this.

And now with all this talk about aero and a few people proving it is worth looking into and taking the time to design and along with my front splitter I need to get the aero balance right on my car. In simple terms, if you fitting a front splitter and nothing on the rear to balance it out it is like fitting soft slick tyres on the front and cheap Runway tyres on the back.

So seeing some work BYC (Back Yard Civic) was doing on Facebook and that he was doing any car now I contacted him. I had to supply him with a bootlid and thanks to Phil for supplying and delivering the boot for me Mark @ BYC did his magic and sent me photos along the way of his design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted it a bit different because of the polycarb windows, we made a plate that goes to the inner boot skin and bolted it through the window.

[​IMG]

11. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Few more of the wing now the car is off the axel stands

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am tempted to take the wing lower, this is how it's sitting at the moment

Camera by the front window screen
    [​IMG]

Half way up the roof... at the highest point of the roof line
    [​IMG]

1.8T_mk2 and Adey like this.
  12. Adey Forum Member

Wow !! That's some wing, looking good

13. knarfmk1 Forum Member

Wing looks very nice!

14. AjVR Forum Member

Keep up the great work should be like a different car with all these changes!

15. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Hopefully, lots gone on but haven't driven it for over a year so probably won't remember how it drives anyway lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Nige

Don`t lower it ! You want it as high as you realistically can. That way it`s in clean air and is more efficient :thumbup:

Looking good ! What are the plans for this year ?

17. Dave R

Dave R Forum Member

Thanks Nige, the wing can go much higher than it is now so will play about when I get on track.

What sort of angle do you suggest?

Plan this year is hopefully get a track day done this month and I may do some sprint racing but will have to see when the car is ready 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Jeez Dave it's stunning.

19. Nige

You want it as shallow as possible, so start off with a small angle then if the rear feels loose adjust to balance to your liking. More angle =drag, it`s why I have a diffuser, that is a less draggy way of achieving the same thing. The wing was added as the Diffuser alone wasn`t quite enough once I started fitting larger splitters. :thumbup:

Dave R likes this.
  20. jamesa Forum Junkie

The ERC cars (tarmac spec) here in Gran Canaria have their rear wings set much the same ... shallow angle and hardly higher than the max roof line but all with various shapes and lips.

Fabias / Fiestas / Suzukis / Peugots / Renaults / Opel

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016