idea for my 1.3

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Liam, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Liam Forum Member

was given a 1.3 mk2 golf a while back and the body work is absolutely f**ked, and i mean f**ked lol, well i have just come up for an idea for it, totally strip it out, all seats except drivers, dash, no bumpers, and was also thinkin of cutting the top half of the car off, the roof basically, what roughly do you think the weight of the car would be with all this done? i would have thought with an engine upgrade and suspension upgrade it would be a f**king wicked track car..

oponions plz.. :p

2. madmk4 Forum Member

Do it, just dont chop the roof off.

If you want to stirp it properly, you need to scrape all the underseal off the inside and outside of the car to, that weighs a tonne

3. Liam Forum Member

underseal weight a tonne? u sure? [:s] oh and why nto chop the roof off? would be fun :)

4. edc1 Forum Member

Your car would probably fold in half at the first corner if you chopped it.

5. madmk4 Forum Member

Me and a mate stripped 7 kilos of bichelin (one type of sound deadening/corrosion prohibitor) from the drivers footwell in his mk1... theres sh*t loads more of the stuff to, so yea im sure.

Chppin the roof will make it seriosuly un aerodynamic, and the ar will handle like a paper plate, and it probally wouldnt be road legal.

6. Liam Forum Member

so just strip it out, take hatch off and bonnet, car will never go on road by the way, and drop the biggest engine in that i can find in a scrap yard

7. drew Forum Member

OMG, I hope you're not serious.

Cheers,

Drew.

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Leave the panels I dont think they would let you on a track with no bonnet etc...Cut any unused metal from the inside, remove the undersealer, roof lining heater matrix and everything else, then dont just get the biggest engine, get the most suitable one

9. Liam Forum Member

how would a 1.3 perfom with all this stuff done? :p

10. b'locks Forum Addict

11. Rainking Forum Member

hmm... 8 Litre v10... that'd work!

12. hayesey Forum Junkie

if u chopped the roof off, firstly u'd need to put lots of strenening beams on the bottom of the car to stop it folding in half. so it would more than likely actually make it heavier.

most convertables are heavier than their hard-top counterparts.

take everything out from inside bar a bucket seat & a steering wheel! perhaps a speedo! depends if ur planning to keep it road legal or not.

13. DarrenW Forum Junkie

If you chop the roof off, at the very least you are going to need a roll cage and a GOOD crash helmet...

14. edc1 Forum Member

Even if you lost 200kgs from the car by stripping all interior, shaving off all unused brackets, scraping off sound deadening and underseal, you will still have the same brakes and engine. It is not going to be mega fast at all but it will be much noisier.