Ideal setup for twin 40s

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by NathMk1, Nov 17, 2003.

1. NathMk1 New Member

hi

i'm considering whether or not to run twin 40's or maybe 45's on my mk1 1.8gti sometime in december. after reading other posts its clear there is an ideal setup for getting the most out of carbs...

can anyone enlighten me as to what is best and whats not so good? (in terms of engine mods, headwork, cam etc). Seen as i have a highly modified engine already, carbs may be out of the question.

Thanks

Nath

Edited by: NathMk1

2. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I would really suggest you read a copy of this first if you're new to carbs.

How to tune carbs

Carbs can be set up for whatever powerband you want and for whatever capacity you want.
    Might be worth checking the other topics about carbs on here to get a hint of whats needed.
    The main problem with fitting carbs to 8 valve golfs is that the inlet manifold is above the outlet manifold so you have to think about the heat off the manifold plus the bulkhead is very close to trumpets on the carbs.

3. eyesonly Forum Member

Seeing as you already have a highly modified engine, twin carbs would love that - there's no point fitting twin carbs unless you have plenty of headwork etc, so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Like Nordoff say's, you can setup twin webers to fuel pretty much anything.

Fitting them to an 8v can be a headache, but it can be done. You'll need to either re-locate the brake servo or fit the small diameter one from a 1.6 driver or something similar, uprate the engine mounts (mainly the rear) to stop the carbs banging into the bulkhead/smaller servo, and you'll have to heat-wrap the exhaust manifold.

[​IMG]

4. NathMk1 New Member

thanks for your replies...
    are you running carbs then eyesonly? or is that a random pic?
    what kind of power increases am i looking at here? im sure it can be done for little money, just whether its worth it or not?

also, i currently run k-star ks03 programmable fuelling... would it be rendered obsolete with carbs?

thanks

nath

5. madmk4 Forum Member

You won't be able to use the fueling program with carbs.

The expensive bit of carbs is having them setup mate, take it o someone who knows what they are doin. even if it mean travelling bloody far, and you'll not regret it.

You see FAR t many cars on carbs that are just..well... sh*t to be honest.

Definatly not bolt on power as it were..

6. Southy_GTI Forum Member

oh oh sell me the k-star

7. eyesonly Forum Member

The pic is from my Old MKII Golf. It used to be a 1.6 driver untill i fitted a 1.8 GTI lump running twin webers, as you see in the pic.
    check out that car on my website

Twin carbs are not cheap to do properly, like madmk4 says they can cost a fair bit to set-up, i needed about 150 worth of jets for a start.

As for the K-star, Carbs don't use any form of engine management at all, just a few accurate holes :p

The power increases are at the top of the rev range and you'll lose low down torque - Twin carbs are best left at the racetrack, or for a second car built for sunday blasts etc.

But i have to say Twin webers sounds awesome [:D]

8. NathMk1 New Member

im not bothered about the impracticality of running carbs, cos the golf is just a second car. it hasnt left the garage for about a month :o :o

as for setting up the carbs, i was gonna get a RR tune up anyway at stealth some time soon, so hopefully that would be a good chance to get them set up? [8D]

cheers

Nath

9. mark1 New Member

do it mate. love the sound of carbs.[:^:]

Who does the inlet manifold? how muh you reckon it would cost for a full setup not including setting the actual carbs up, just bits? ;)

10. NathMk1 New Member

some one i knew was selling twin 40's (think they were weber but not sure) and manifold and every other bit you need for 250. it was taken off his 8v carb conversion.

for that money you cant go wrong ;)