Identify this please

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by swordfish, Jan 6, 2024.

1. swordfish New Member

Hey folks, just replaced the matrix in my 95 corrado(without removing the dash) & can't seem to find wherever this plug goes to, me & a mate done the job between us & neither of us can remember removing it but it looks important & the wires are quite thick so presumably something with a heavy ish load, it's not the head unit or the heated seats as I've got them plugged in already, @ a total loss now & loathed to put it all back together unplugged, can anyone help pleeeease? 20240106_192710.jpg 20240106_192732.jpg 20240106_192717.jpg 20240106_192738.jpg

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Fan speed switch connector?

3. swordfish New Member

I've got that plugged in already mate but thanks appreciate the suggestion

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Then maybe the resistor that gives the different voltages according to the speed switch settings?

5. swordfish New Member

Where's that located mate?

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Dunno, sorry. Wherever that'll reach to in the direction towards the cabin fan?

7. swordfish New Member

Think that's a white 4 pin "idiot proof" unique plug with round terminals & its already plugged in....doing my head in

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The part number almost visible in one pic could be 1J0972704 which is a mk4 Golf part number, isn't it.
    So later, suggesting non-original to the car?

Zender Z20 likes this.
  9. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

EZ_Pete likes this.
  10. swordfish New Member

Nice detective work guys, thanks for that, food for thought, I'll need to have another thorough search tommorow, does look like currently not used but want to know 100% before screwing all back together as the plastics brittle as.

11. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

12. watercooled Forum Member

Sorry can't help however mentioned you changed the matrix without taking the dash out ,wow ,please tell me more as I didn't know this could be done ?.
    Would appreciate some tips on how you did it ,thanks

13. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

That reminds me of one of the 3 connectors which plug in behind the indicator/wiper stalks. But I could be wrong. IIRC the grooves are unique so can't be mixed-up.

14. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

That heat shrink in the last photo doesn’t look like a factory fit but may be wrong as have never worked on a corrado. Have you seen that heat shrink elsewhere in your loom? Check to see what you got with a multimeter/test light, see if and when it’s actually live and/or earthed? Could be someone’s retro fitted something in the past? I’d just connect up all electric services and see if everything works and if so isolate and tuck it away.

15. swordfish New Member

Hi mate I more or less followed this guys guide, its not fun & takes a bit of wiggling/patience but definitely better than whole dash out, I also removed my stereo aswell as the full surround it sits in with the vents etc. to ease things more
    https://www.vagdrivers.net/threads/corrado-heater-matrix-replacement.19713/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  16. swordfish New Member

I'm thinking it's been for a previous install of some kind, thanks for all your inputs though

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dont go by part number, plugs been thru several supersessions. its the same plug VW used on the CE2 MK2 for the connection to the harness which then runs down to the back for rear speakers, though the wire colours are wrong. maybe chase them back a bit, could have been someones done a repair job on the speaker harness to replace a previous bodge hence the later VW part number on the plug

18. swordfish New Member

Thanks Jonny, will do.

19. watercooled Forum Member

Hi mate thanks so much ,super helpful,bought my car with bypassed system but past owner did supply new Dansk matrix ,yes it won't be fun as I have done one in a Mk2 Golf and one in Mk3 ,the later was a real PITA and latter bit me in the ass as the matrix arrived with freight damage ,suppler was helpful and after I sent it back I got an email saying they were on back order ,after a month a replacement arrived but for the life of me I couldn't remember clearly where everything went back in !!!! so not fun.
    Cheers.

swordfish likes this.