Idle Probs

Discussion in '8-valve' started by rooka, Sep 3, 2008.

1. rooka New Member

hi, i just turned 18 and after about five years of wanting a VW i saved up and got a C reg mk2 GTI 8v. its in pretty good nick but when you first start it it idles very high (about 2000 RPM), then, once you've driven it for more than 10 mins it idles really low, then stalls. does anyone know what is wrong with it? also does anyone know what the best and cheapest engine mods are to get the most out of the 8v engine?
    cheers
    aidan

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Hi rooka,

Best bet is to take a couple of pics of your engine bay and post them on here. Then the engine experts will be able to see which variety of 8v engine you have, and go from there. :)

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

that'll be a k-jet 8v, or at least it should be :lol:
    check out the throttle area, if theres a throttle switch make sure it clicks with the throttle shut. after that go over all the hoses in the bay looking for any that are disconnected or cracked :)

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

jonny do you mean that when the engine is running rev it a little and when you let off the throttle switch should make a little click? if it doesnt click would this cause the engine to stall when cold? my golf is doing my head in today[:^(]

5. rubjonny

do it with the engine off, if it has an idle switch you should hear it click when the throttle closes :)

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

cheers ill do that tomorrow, is this switch likely to cause a random idle (mainly high) if it were faulty?

7. rubjonny

yes it can do!

8. rooka New Member

thanks for all the help guys talked to other people and apparently its an induction leak, but haven't really had time to sort it recently, but thanks for all the help. :p :clap:

9. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    What is an 'induction leak' ??

10. rooka New Member

an air leak somewhere in the tubing which means that the air to fuel ratio is changed which means that the car will idle high, and then the engine overcompensates for it causing it to stall. thats what i got told anyway[:s] don't really know much about engines lol