If Porsche had built a Mk2.....

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by retrowhore, Feb 24, 2012.

1. retrowhore Forum Member

While considering a direction for the Votex Golf the other day I was taken back to my early VW days and memories of Beetles and Golfs using Porsche parts to upgrade the mechanicals and cosmetics of the cars.

Porsche have a history of tinkering with VAG group production cars and they have proved to be iconic and successful for the most. Notable examples are the Audi RS2, The VW T3 Transporter B32 as well as cars that share design heritage like the 356, 914 and 924 models.

Many Porsche parts were commonly used in VW's as they all originated from the VAG parts bin. For instance - mundane things like door handles, glovebox locks, VDO gauges, relays, headlights all are shared in the 924/944 and Golf ranges of the 80's.

With this in mind it got me thinking what a Mk2 Golf might have been featured like if Porsche had been let loose on one in 1985. It would have to remain FWD and use as many VAG/Porsche parts as possible so as not to become a 'mutt'. Aftermarket parts like VDO/BBS/Rial etc could be used as Porsche spec'd them in their own cars.

I have started a draft list of parts that could be used on a Mk2 as a direct fit or with minor tinkering. Can you add any more?

Brakes - 944 Calipers and MC?
    Suspension - 924/44 was used on the Golf Mk1? Does anything fit the Mk2?
    Lighting - Headlights and side repeaters. Number plate light. Not really an upgrade though.
    Seating - 924/44 Tombstones or Recaro buckets
    Instrumentation - most switches and VDO 52mm gauges
    Interior - Seating (above), Steering wheel (911/24/44), Glovebox lock
    Exterior - Door handles, door mirrors?
    Wheels - BBS/Rial/Speedline (most 5 stud 5x130)
    Drivetrain - 5 stud hubs or custom adapters to fit 5x130? Up to 17" possible. 911/944/928 Models best option.
    Engine - AFM from 924 Turbo? Intercooler? 924/44 engine is same bellhousing pattern as the Audi 5 cylinder. Has it been done?

2. volks1781 New Member