"i'll leave it standard luv, honest"

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by LregG, Dec 27, 2010.

1. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a bmw E46 316 as a daily, nice car, it's not going to set the world on fire in terms of performance but it's a comfy cruiser returning between 32-38mpg........When i got it i told myself i'd keep it standard BUT i now find that i have coilovers waiting to go on, a CSL style front bumper on it's way from germany and a few other odds and sods that i'm also watching on debay.

I'm both annoyed with myself for going against my own word and slightly excited to see the transformation......SO, has anyone else done the same in tricking themselves into thinking "i'll leave it standard"?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. m1keh Forum Member

I try to go with, keep it standard till it needs replacing. So if one of my shocks went, the car would get gifted with a set of decent coilies or something similar. Saves me from spending money that isn't needed.

3. LregG

at 123k miles over nearly ten years, the suspension was due some attention.....and compared to bmw prices the coilover kit came in at the equivelant of two rear shocks and one rear spring lol.

As for the bumper, err, well, that was brand new and it finished at a ridiculously low boxing day bargain price so it was rude not to lol

4. m1keh Forum Member

See it's all just preventative maintenance is all she needs to know.

5. LregG

I was with girlfriend when I got the car, I'm not now....may well be a factor lol

6. bens_cab Forum Junkie

ive got a 316 compact and i said i wouldnt modify it and tbh i wont its the biggest pile of crap ive ever driven horrid things going to flog it soon and buy a rocco

7. LregG

Not keen on the compacts personally, they look like they've been reversed into a wall.

8. Admin Guest

reason i sold my caddy, was far to tempting to spend money on it by lowering, 5spd box, doing it up.

9. LregG

My mate commented "once a trev, always a trev"......I have never fitted a spoiler or tinted any windows or applied.any graffix so I'd like to think I don't come under that category?

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

See I bought a Volvo so I couldn't modify it, but after looking around I've been tempted way too many times to get the 'R' spec kit and alloys just for subtle modifcations but told myself no :lol:

11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I had a classic mini cooper, it was my 3rd mini and I said I wouldn't mod it.... 2 days after getting iit the 3rd party stock exhaust was too restrictive and quite so a stainless race system was on... that one ended up stripped, buckets, harnesses, stage 3 race head, modded air box, lowered etc

the mk4 was ment to be the same.... its being lowred this week, rolling on my 18s in the summer all being well, hesadlights have been changed, but im having to stop there due to now owning a home so times are harder

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

I never can resist the urge the subtley modify my cars.

It's always go rather than show. Deeply satisfying driving a car with a chunk of extra performance over a factory oem version:thumbup: