im back in a gti!! this time mk1

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by sportline, Mar 19, 2007.

1. sportline Forum Junkie

[:D] [:D] well after selling my last mk1 a good few years ago, i swore i wouldnt ever own another mk1, after a few mk2's and a long time in an old polo ive been driving an old passat.
    when my mate got a mk1 into his garage for sale i thought i'd take a look, as ive been thinking of getting another recently.

on the way to viewing it i was prepared to be disapointed, ive seen so many that just look too tatty to take seroiusly. but when he opened the doors up i was pleasantly suprised.

its a y reg mk1 gti in mars red. original p slots, original near perfect interior, very straight, not all original paint but repaired to a high standard where it has been blown in, no real rust just one or two minor blemishes, single headlamp grill with original gti badge, heavily waxoyled throughout, no signs of prevoius welding.

the only downsides are the sunroof, its a glass one, i wouldnt usually entertain the thought of a mk1 with a glass roof, but the overall condition was just too good to let 1 thing put me off it, ive owned plenty of mk1's too understand where they rot and theres no signs in the problem areas. and tbh, theres so many mk1's with rotten factory suroofs that i would be dubious of any sunroof. and we all know how had it is to find the non sunroof models.

on the test drive it felt old!! i'd forgotten how primtive the ride and sound deadening is on the mk1's and thats after driving an a reg mk2 polo for previous 18 months. But old is what i like, sitting in the interior it felt like a timewarp, with the red seats and gti mats it was just what i like in a car. Performance was nice and tourquey but by todays standards not really a fast car. and the handling felt a little light on the wheel a slightly bouncy. just how i remembered them really, the tyres are so high profile by todays standards and i suppose quite skinny but they make do with the car being so light.

anyway i pick the car up after my holiday, so in 2 weeks time. i really cant wait to drive a mk1 again.

this ones gonna be kept standard, as thats how i like them, the only plans are to refurb the p slot wheels, theyve been painted silver all over so i'm gona get them re done with the black in the p cut outs which will set the car off, they also have the original centers with the pirelli engraving, so i'll get them re done in silver and black. they will look awesome.

as you can tell i'm rather excited! probably my longest post ever! will contact the seller and try and get some nice pics as the ones ive got dont do the car justice.
    cheers.

2. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent, Mk1's have to be the best ;) Get some pics up pronto [:D]

Al

3. sportline Forum Junkie

pic, but it doesnt do it justice really.
    [​IMG]