Immobiliser removal

Discussion in 'Security' started by clart, Apr 6, 2010.

1. clart Forum Member

The immobiliser has stopped working in my mk2 and just wondered if there was a guide or if anyone could give me a walkthrough of removing it myself.

The car is a 1990 golf 16v with original quantum alarm and quantum immobiliser so luckily nothing aftermarket. Guessing it can't be too tricky a job as they were dealer fitted which normally means just slung in.

I'm not too up on my car electrics so any help would be great, the car is near Newport if anyone with the know-how fancies giving me a hand doing it for beer money.

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

PM me if you want mate I should be able to help.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

removing alarms/immob isnt that hard. what you do is locate the controller box for it, then follow all the wiring for it, chopping out as you go. any of the original wires that were cut and spliced into will need re-joining, this should become obvious as you go, just a case of matching up wire size & colours :)

4. clart Forum Member

Found out today that our IT guy's brother is an auto electrician so he should be doing it at mates rates. If not I'll be posting up a bit more in here!!

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I did one recently and it was suprisingly easy since I have a fear of electrics. As Rj said just located all the imob gubbins and traced which original wires it was spliced into and stripped out and rejoined, very straight forward. From memory Im pretty sure all/most of the wires were spliced up near the steering column.