Importing german scirocco

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by eggmanpete, Jun 7, 2011.

1. eggmanpete Forum Member

Morning,

I wanted to get some feedback on how difficult it would be to import my '85 scirocco to the UK from Germany. It's registered, taxed and insured in Germany right now but I'm moving back to UK for an unknown amount of time soon. Does anyone have any experiences with this?

What are the costs, in terms of registering in UK, increase in insurance, and converting for driving on left (lights dip etc)?
    Are they easy to sell here once it comes to that stage?

I've researched and looked that I can't seem to keep it registered and insured in Germany and drive it in UK when I have a permanent address in UK.

Or should I just sell it in Germany and buy a new one in UK?

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

did my g60 years back

costs are low to register it here guessing 50-75 ish

you would insure it on the chassis number , get a mot with just the chassis number then send off the dvla and they register it and give you a uk number plate

headlights would need to be uk spec or beam ajuster stickers , and sort the rear fog light out

insurance shouldnt be too bad , try a few online quotes , doubt many people will be begging to buy a lhd scirroco though

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Look on sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk - that will be your source for the RHD lights - takes 10 minutes to swap them out.

As for saleability, the LHD Scirocco brakes better and handles better than the RHD version so there are always people looking for one (I certainly was when I was in the UK). It also depends on the model - for example only 10 GTX 16v were ever officially imported here - and if yours has extras like PAS.

4. rankadoodle Forum Member

If this because RHD you sit on the same side as the motor? I always figured myself and the trans about balance out 80 or 90ish % of what the engine weight could be on that side.

Who wouldn't buy a sirocco :thumbup:

5. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Exactly, great for understeering into kerbs around left-handers but not much else. Brake feel is also greatly improved because the brake pedal acts directly on the servo rather than being on the opposite side of the car.