Improving MK2 Physical Security

Discussion in 'Security' started by gtijon, Jan 5, 2006.

1. gtijon Forum Member

I'm going to be taking the doors and tailgate off my MK2 soon for paint. I'm going to plate over the hole that allows access to the lock in the tailgate, and get some VAG anti slim jim plates. Does anyone make deadlocks to fit a MK2 Golf? Or even better locks for that matter? My old 16V was mangled to f*** after some scalls broke in through the passenger door by screwdrivering the lock. That car, and my current car have armour plates BTW.

2. gti_kev Forum Member

You could always remove the handle all together, plate it over, and use a remote solinoid to open the door? i have no idea how to do it but i have heard of these before!

3. gtijon Forum Member

It's not too hard - just get a central locking solenoid to pull on the door open cable. I want to keep a standard looking car, and not have to fit a new alarm, central locking etc.

4. eightvalve Forum Member

If they (scum) really want in, they'll smash the glass!
    As i found out after fitting door plates. Although i remember seeing window film that was supposed to stop bricks, hammers etc...dunno how good it is or if still available or how long it would last against repeated hammer thrashing! Plus they could use a stanley blade on window rubbers, and pull glass out.

After that i fitted a silent pager alarm and kept a baseball bat handy.

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

you can plate the hole in the front behind vw badge

6. gtijon Forum Member

I want to minimise the simple and quiet methods of entry - my last GTi was killed by scalls who broke in by forcing the passenger side lock with a screwdriver in the keyhole and who then proceeded to bend the column, wheel and then being unable to start it, rip the immobiliser touch key out of the dash. This was back in May, and nobody since has been able to get it going, so now it's being broken.

Basically what I'm looking for is ways to strengthen the locks and make it difficult for the average scall to break in - the car's not worth the attention of a professional thief (no fancy parts etc.). Currently I use an immobiliser that came with the car and a disklok steering lock.

Like the idea of a pager alarm, given how much attention the neighbours paid to it - several saw it, not one chuffer phoned the police. My bedroom was up the back end of the house and I didn't hear it...

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

take the lock buttons out and fit a dummy led ?

8. gtijon Forum Member

Just to clarify, the people who broke into my car put a screwdriver into the keyway, and twisted. I've tried it myself, and it does unlock the door. Anyone got any ideas to stop this in the future?

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

fit rear doorhandles, with no locks.

10. gtijon Forum Member

I'd rather not bother with central locking etc. I could, but it's a pain if the battery ever dies. Are MK3 or 4 locks any better? Is there any way to transfer them?

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

theres no way your gona stop people doing that, tbh the screwdriver in the lock way is daft on a golf, its a n old car and easy to get in an steal

just make your car as secure as you can, helps if you dont have big speakers/cd's/ stuff on show and never drive around with your stereo on loud near where you live/park

12. amity498 Forum Member

should we not have this comment on a public forum [:s][:s][:s]

<!--
    var SymRealOnLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

SymOnLoad()
    {
    if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
    SymRealOnLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
    window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

whys that then?? he already said its how they got in :clap:

14. gtijon Forum Member

TBH I think everyone already knows that Golfs are pretty easy to steal. Hence them all having armour door plates on / delocked, being famed for being stolen a lot in the 80s (and hence becoming almost uninsurable) and so on.

My view is that the people who want to steal your car most likely already have a decent idea how, and that the best way to secure the car is remove the weak points in the car's security. It's a 20 year old model - most ways of getting into them will be common knowledge among criminals by now.

Anyway, as I said before, this wasn't the usual pry in that you stop with Armour door plates - the car had armour door plates fitted. They just used a screwdriver instead of a key in the keyhole...

15. MR_TOAD_INSTALL Banned

Or go for a transponder immobilisor where only the owner knows where the receiver is and will not start even if they have the keys

could be anywhere in the interior trim?????????????

Interested ;););)

16. mexicorich Forum Member

Mr Toad

Is it sufficient to just touch the transponders loacation and then move it away? So if its on the keyring you can touch your seat or whatever and then put the keys in the column lock?

17. Steve B Forum Junkie

18. AndrewF Forum Addict

thing is though, if they have to get in (which they will if they really want to) i'd rather them break a window as its a very cheap item second hand, and the car will look perfect again immediately. a decent immobiliser will usually stop them actually taking the car. i suspect fitting anti-tamper plates around the locks means they'll still have a go and end up doing even more body damage.

19. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

armour door plates really are worthless, i once put a delocked handle with plate, on my passenger side, without swapping all the mech over, to find that i could no longer open the door from the inside or out

needless to say it took me around a minute to regain access, from the outside...

20. Steve B Forum Junkie

you sure that wasnt just the delocked handel not properly swapped over ?

one of my jettas has aror door plate, they just drilled underneatht that and got in fine