ingnition timing for carb ..

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by ces, Apr 13, 2013.

1. CES

ces New Member

hello.
    I really try and I did not find accurate ..

there is much talk of adjustment of fuel but no ignition that goes with it ..

So what are the adjustment / solution adopted for motor mk1 8s?

ignitor different, fixed advance, programmable ignition (ie what is the most appropriate curve) etc. ..

of my research, I often read a lighter adapted some 205 gti set at 30 and fixed .. but far from ideal ..

otherwise we can change the mass / spring igniters.

I personally prefer proggrammable ignition, but I have no basis for precise adjustment ..

I think it good value closer to 30 at 5000 rpm ..

but I think it is not optimal ..

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

all excellent questions. Ignition has more 'smoke and mirrors' than fuel, any day..................
    I have experimented with full mappable ignition on the RR (me driving the RR) and not come to the conclusions
    so many have about the 'obvious' benefits of mappable ignition.
    Enlighten me please.
    Jon

3. CES

ces New Member

well the benefit ,is ,he all setting is possible ..

but for me & espacially for you (and all Kr's engine) the good information is the vw motorsport book that says the limit is at 26 (98/102 oct) or 28 (96/98 oct) .
    but it's for an hi comp piston and camshaft as more than 300 ..
    and i read in this forum the oem map of the kr..

i'm back on my 8s now.
    logically on non modified engine the ignition dont "move" because nothing is change in internal parts ,but if y haven't information for setting like the original ,it's difficult to do that..

and especially in my 8s ,my 8s is modified (piston hi comp in 82,5 ,camshaft in 290 & 2x45 dcoe),and my setting is based on oe curve but enlarge it ..
    if i read the 2l super vee formula with 41 max (5000 rpm) ,when i see this ,i think i'm so far about a good value ..

for me it's an information that missed in "sticky thread" to complete it conversion ..
    t

my post is create for

4. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

I'm not quite sure what you are after but why don't you go to a dyno and make some experiments to find the optimum point?

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

various setups will vary the ignition which does depend as outlined above with internal set ups, the purpose of the ignition map (be it ECU'd or curve of the dizzy) to get the spark in the right place so the peak pressure of the fuel making magic fire happens when the pistion has just gone past TDC and starting going down on the power stroke.
    if your going to upgrade your systen look for something with knock sensors get it set up on a dyno

6. CES

ces New Member

@ Crispy 8V:

that's right .
    a dyno is THE solution.

and a set up of engine varies & depend of the parts is in ..

i have a knock sensor ,it's pretty interesting with that (it's a gauge knock sensor)..

i think i'm follow the knock sensor for my engine finally ,because a dyno is so far away from my home.(in my country)

well, i would like to do a base value for all forumer to setting an engine (8s/16s etc..)

if someone else would post is curve/value ,it's a good source to approach this..

thanks

7. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

follow the knock sensor? Do you mean that you will advance the timing until your sensor reads knock and then back it off? If yes, that's not a good idea

8. CES

ces New Member

yes .but why not ?

logically it's for a good value to don't destroy my piston isn't it ?

thanks

9. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

If you advance the ignition timing until your knock sensor "hears" the knock it means that you already are in the detonation zone. No, it will not be a good value. There is a window between optimum ignition advance and detonation. Detonation breaks stuff, i wouldn't try it.

10. CES

ces New Member

I agree, but then how to get the right adjustment?

thanks