injector issues

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by matt e, Apr 30, 2012.

1. matt e New Member

My 16v mk2 doesnt like starting from cold or ideling so after a bit of searching around ive puled the injectors out to see if the appear to spray anything like right ?
    so i turn the ignition on and they spray a small amount of fuel then i try cranking the engine over and no fuel whatsoever,i then left the ignition on and pushed the flap up in the metering head still no fuel from the injectors.if i crack the pipes off on the metering head there is fuel there on cranking and the same if i crack the pipes to the injectors, would this sugest the injectors being knackerd or something else ?

eventualy after about 5 mins of constant cranking the car will start but idle very badly but if kept over 3k drives fine!
    have had the 5th injector out to and that gives a nice cone as it should
    any one got any ideas ?
    thanks matt

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i use to pull one injector out at a time and put a spare injector to seal the hole
    then restart the engine to see the spray patern
    repeat for all 4

you need to bridge the fuel pump relay to do it the way your trying to do it

how are the seals on the injectors alot of poor running is down the air leaks

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you need to bridge the fuel pump before you do the test, dead easy way to do this is fit your #18 relay to the fuel pump socket then the pump will come on with the ignition. then lift the flap and check the volume and spray pattern on all 4. unplugging injector 1 at a time would work but you cant check the spray volume across all 4 if you do that

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/uploads/pdf/Testinjectors.pdf

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Highly unlikely all 4 injectors are duff, check cold start valve and it`s thermotime sensor, also the metering head is adjustable for fuel (maily at idle) and make sure the throttle body is set up correctly/ ISV is working.