Installation instructions for mk3 cluster into mk2 gti

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Hrvat_vr6, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You need the speed sensor (G22) for the MK3 cluster as it is one of the inputs to an accurate fuel gauge reading, MPG and of course vehicle speed.
    You would need to integrate your current A2 cluster jacks i.e the left and right connectors into the T28 single plug for the MK3 Cluster and add any additional wires for the speedo and KVB signal (fuel comsumption signal from the ECU). Later MK3 T28 cluster looms, that terminate in blue U2 or U1 jacks, on the Central Electric v2 fusebox may have all white wires! So you will need to know what pin does what on the T28 connector and merge to the corresponding pin on your current cluster loom. The diagrams for the above, including your fuse panel can be found in Robert Bentley manuals for the A2 (GTI/Golf/Jetta) and A3 (Golf/GTI/Jetta/Cabrio).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its easier to id the mk3 wires based on their location in the U1 or U2 plugs, rather than opening the T28 connector. see my fusebox FAQ all the U1 and U2 pins are labelled up in the mk3 section so that side is sorted for you.

as for speed sensor, by the sounds of it you have a speedo cable currently fitted which would make sense as thats what the mk2 clcoks need. look around the bay for an unused 3 pin plug with a brown, black and white/blue wire thats the speedo sensor plug. fingers crossed the other end of the blue/white is tucked behind the fusebox for you. the main issue is identifying the speed sensor wire and the ecu vss wire, as helpfully they're both blue/white :lol:

3. Toyotec

Where did I say you had to "open up" the T28 connector again?
    Your method, Jon is an alternative to what I wrote, however understanding what each pin does on the T28 connection side negates the need to understand the U1 and U2 connections do, which can be different between A2 and later A3 vehicles and may even have differences with our own Euro/ROW MK2 and MK3 vehicles.

As U1 and U2 are not applicable in this instance, a fool proof method for integrating the existing connections to the target cluster (w/T28 connection) is needed, hence my suggestion.

The Robert Bentley manuals for A2 (US current cluster) and A3 (US/ NA VR6 cluster) US domestic market vehicles covers this in great detail.

As this is a 96 VR6 engine for North America you make want to include a J1962 diagnostic port as well as the MIL indicator ( Pin is present on OBD2 ECUs) in your cluster or elsewhere, if you have not already done so.

4. rubjonny

the problem is that to see where the mk3 wires go into the T28 plug you have to open it up, as the back is covered. thats all i meant!

you could multimeter each pin, but its far quicker to just look at the U1/2 pins and compare to the fusebox faq IMO (or the US MK3 bentley). Like I said, I have a specific MK3 section in my Fusebox FAQ so no worries with the slight difference between CE2 MK2 U1/2 cluster plugs ;)

5. Toyotec

The jack covering on T28 cluster connectors (VDO/Motometer) comes off and reassembles very easy so no problem there.

Then you identify the fly lead using the appropriate US A3 current schematic, using masking tape to label e.g. "T28/8 = MIL" ( not actual description).
    This can be later matched up to what ever is existing on the car via the schematic for the US A2 in the R.Bentley manual.
    There is a risk that the Euro MK3 VW current flow diagrams will miss connections that are present in US A3 applications, hence the suggestion to use the Bentley.

6. rubjonny

7. rubjonny

yars i know what you mean, just saying for me its easier to work at the U1/2 end when identifying because pins are larger and easier to id/count vs the smaller bunched up pins on the T28. what i would do is use the faq/bently to id what u1/1 is, cut, solder to ce1 pin. then id u1/2, cut, solder to ce1 and so on till its done.

those tiny pins such as in AUM/AQU ecu connector or in the T28 dash plug give me a migraine :lol:

8. Toyotec

You do not want to use CE2 information for the A2 as this vehicle does not have that type of fuse box.

You need to use the A2 current flow diagrams for Harat_VR6's car for the current cluster or anywhere else on the car that feeds into the cluster from the fuse/relay panel.
    Then A3 current flow diagrams to integrate the T28 connector for the '96 VR6 cluster to the existing.

T28 plug is not that bad in fact quite big compared to debugging PLCC44 eproms or even worse 29F800BB Eproms in modern ME7 controllers.

9. rubjonny

indeed, thats what im saying. use the US mk3 bentley to identify what U1/1 does, then you look at pin U1/1 on thefusebox end of the clock loom becasue its nice and big, plus its easy to find pin 1 and count along as you go. With the T28 i find it a bit harder, hence why i would go for the fusebox end of the loom rather than clock end

the link above covers US spec mk2 and mk3 clocks, as well as others so it should be pretty helpfull in addition to the US MK3 bentley :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013