Insuring your first car...

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by suttonval, Apr 21, 2008.

1. suttonval Forum Member

Well, after taking my little sister round to look at many cars, she finally went with a little 1.1 saxo desire. Not my first choice but an all round tidy car. She picks it up on thursday.

Been trying to get some competitive quotes on insurance for her. Shes only 19 and will of had her license a year in june. Anyone know of good insurers for a young female??

The best quote so far is Tesco's at 1150, which seems extortionate to me. She must be able to do better than this. That was fully comp mind, is it worth her going third party, she seems to think it is for the couple of hundred quid saving. Im not convinced.

Any insurers people can recommend for young drivers or any input would be greatly appreciated, many thanks!

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

1.0 Lupo as my first car. 1300 from tesco was the best i could get in the first year.

Then droped to 800 and this year 400.

I think thats near the ballpark of where your going to get.

3. Dicky Retardo Forum Member

elephant,bell,admiral! there all the same company apprently,but you can play each of them off for the best quote! bell deal with people with low ncb bonus's! you can try a-plan and direct line also!
    dont bother with tesco,never been any good for young drivers!

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

how much was the car to buy? if it was cheap ie sub 1k I would just go third party as she will have an excess of 500 anyway so if you had to claim against your own policy you would only get half the anyway and it would cost you more than the 500 you get in extra premiums over the years anyway...

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the same tesco that was the only insurance company that would insure me on my valver when I was 18?..... :)

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my first car, diesel fiesta, was 1100 many moons ago.

7. Dicky Retardo Forum Member

yes the same tesco that would'nt insure my mk2 8v at 18 for less than 1500 tpft!:lol:

bell= 1100 tpft!

8. Collie Forum Junkie

i feel old, my first car was a mk1 fez, 290 tpo ins , and its still the same on myu golf now!

9. Dicky Retardo Forum Member

you are old!:lol:

10. WillG

WillG Forum Member

www.confused.com has always been good for me, found insurance for my gf's 1.8 scirocco as a classic car for 350, when her 1.6 golf was almost 600. My golf is currently through Admiral through a quote from confused.com.

I was on my dad's insurance until i was about 21 though [:$]

Or www.moneysupermarket.com or www.theaa.com do price comparisons.

there's always sheila's wheels :p

11. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

My sister (17) just insured a little 1.0 AX with the post office for 750ish.

Direct Line were pretty good as well for her.

12. suttonval Forum Member

Thanks for all the follow ups! I think fully comp is the way for her to go, although it isnt an expensive car, it still set her back 1800 and she isnt the most confident driver in the world. The AA seem to be the most competitive so far and Quinn direct are also quite good.

As for tesco car insurance they are the best for insuring my valver by a mile compared to anywhere else ive tried.

13. kerrly Forum Member

Fair play doesnt insurance take the ****..

You think 1150 fully comp at 19 with no ncb or previous driving record sounds expensive! Far from it especially if as you say she is " not the most confident driver in the world" .

i paid 1000 TPFT on a 1.0 fiesta i bought for 200quid when i was 17 and more recently my bro paid 1000 tpft to insure a 1.0 polo.

How much did you pay on your 1st car?!

1000 is about right for a 1st time male driver so 1150 fully comp for a female is bargain as fully comp for me would have been 1700 at the time - only 8.5 times what i paid for the car [:v:]

best thing to do is go on the price comparision sites and see who comes up cheap and then CALL them direct and tell them you have been on comparison site and company XYZ offered you blah blah blah and you should get a better price.

Have you considered maybe adding yourself as a named driver but on HER policy that might get the price down a bit.

14. Phil. Forum Junkie

ahh, I remember the first car I owned and my first insurance cover. I got a wee Corsa with 2 years free insurance. After the 2 years was up I was 19/20 and paying 1100 tpft on a 12volt corsa!!